Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

leaking oil

IL

10-10-04, 05:04 PM   #1  
leaking oil

I have a 94chevy lumina car with 105k miles,it started leaking oil a few drops in the center in front of oil pan.I lose a quart every 400-500 miles.How many different possibilities could there be for the leak and price wise top to bottom dollar scenario to repair?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 06:04 PM   #2  
jeherrin
It's probably just a gasket leak. Drain the oil, unscrew the pan and swap the gasket. They'll usually pretty cheap, maybe $20 or so...

10-13-04, 06:26 PM   #3  
there are many possibilities i would do an engine shampoo and wait a while and see if you can pinpoint it but if i realy had to guess on your vehicle not knowing which engine you have check your oil sending unit it is on the side of the block front side i have seen many leak from there

10-14-04, 08:08 AM   #4  
Posted By: jeherrin It's probably just a gasket leak. Drain the oil, unscrew the pan and swap the gasket. They'll usually pretty cheap, maybe $20 or so...

wow, are the oil pan gaskets that easy to replace on this vehicle??

In my experience, oil pans are often cradled by the k member of the vehicle. the k member to simplify is a part of the chassis (more or less) and often will go under the oil pan, making the oil pan impossible to pull off without actually unbolting the engine from the mounts, and lifting the engine up with an engine hoist.

Although oil pan gasket leaks are common on vehicles with high mileage, it's almost never so common that it leaks bad enough to have a constant drip. 9 out of 10 times it's something different, i'd hold off on replacing the pan gasket.

the most common place to start is with a good cleaning such as autodoc suggested, this will help you find the leak. I would start with examining the oil drain plug and the oil filter. these are the most common spots for leaking, you could need a gasket on the plug, or it could be loose. if it's not leaking from those two spots, it's very likely that it's the valve cover gasket leaking down, this is the second most likely culprit.

best of luck!

Search this Thread