98 durango makes funny (thumping) sound

Old 10-13-04, 06:45 AM
98 durango makes funny (thumping) sound

i have a 98 durango...yes, high mileage...but runs great...the only thing is it makes a bizarre thump thump thump thump sounds (hardly audible from outside the vehicle...and only from the inside when sitting idle)...it's soft enough that you don't hear it when driving...it does speed up when pressing the accelarator...my buddy who is extremely talented in vehicles thinks it just might be an ol' car sound...any other ideas...if it was REAL major...i really think he would have caught it...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-04, 10:05 AM
the only way to tell is get a mechanics stethascope and start probing around on the engine to see if you can pin point it

Old 10-13-04, 06:26 PM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
I'm leaning toward fuel pump. One of my cars makes the same noise like that. However I'm with him, you need to narrow it down to an area of the car before you'll get a good idea.

Old 10-14-04, 04:00 AM
reconrick
Visiting Guest
Check the engine mounts and Purge Solinoid on firewall

The fuel pump is not on the engine on a 98 Durango/Dakota its in the tank. The noise is most likely a motor mount broken, purge solinoid on the firewall that purges fuel vapors from the tank or a cat converter loose insides.
Reconrick

Old 10-14-04, 07:55 AM
can you give us more information than that??? I'd be a little disappointed personally if a "talented friend" (not trying to insult) told me it was "old car sounds" on a 98??? that's practically brand new!!! my 86 mustang has nearly 200 hard driven/raced original miles on it, and still passed smog yesterday with flying colors. truth be told, a thunking sound sound Never be waved off as an old car sound.

do you check your oil and change it constantly?? a thunk thunk thunk sound that increases with engine speed has me a little worried, perhaps you can narrow down the location of the noise for us. My sister just replaced the v6 in her 96 mustang because of a thunk thunk thunk. DOn't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have a bad engine, and the chance of that is infinetly small. But I'm kinda thinking it may not be an engine mount or a bad cat. I've never seen an engine (not that it can't happen) to jump off the mount at idle unless you've got a lopey race cam, or a bad, BAD miss., my .02

Old 10-14-04, 08:07 AM
sorry for the lack of info.

best location i can say is closer to the cab of the vehicle vs. the front...cause it's definitely a LOT more noticable in the vehicle than outside...with that being said...it's soft enough that driving at 1 mph is louder than the thumping itself...or having the ac or heater on deafens it too...it is pretty darn "quite thumping"...(i feel like one of those people on the car care tv commercials)...i do change the oil about ever 3000 miles...please please please wish good things upon this...i do not feel like putting any major $ into a 98 vehicle...

oh yeah, i have had a blazer w/a rod going out of it...it doesn't sound like that...

BUT...I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS...VERY RELEVANT: when i start the engine...i can really hear it as the engine goes from fast to slower idle...imagine someone rolling their "r's" as they are saying a spanish word...that's the sound...then it gets (as i said before) pretty darn quiet...the weird thing is...if i turn the key to the first position (radio on, windows, etc.) before starting it for a couple of seconds...then start the vehicle...it oftens doesn't really make the thumping during the start up...just that quiet thumping once idleing.

sorry for the rambling.

Old 10-14-04, 08:20 AM
it def sounds engine related, as it does it in idle/park, so I'm gonna almost surely rule out (if anyone disagrees, let me know) the trans, driveshaft, wheels/tires, and rear end.

When you initially start your car, there is no oil circulating in it, it kicks it into high idle initially, and takes the oil pump a few seconds to circulate the oil. This could be one reason why it quiets down, as there isn't much oil circulating for the first couple of seconds. Have you checked to see if there are any vehicle recalls on this??? Do this at your own risk, and do it SAFELY, but you can try and rule out engine failure on your own. When i've heard sounds a knocking before, I grab a long screwdriver with a plastic handle, and touch the metal end to spots ON the oil pan around under where the pistons/rods would be, and put the plastic end to your ear. it acts like a stethascope, and will magnify all internal sounds. if you have an engine knocking, you should hear it clearly when you get close to that spot. You can also do this up top to eliminate lifters and the such by touching it to the valve covers too. Since your on a do it yourself forum I give you this advice, but honestly, since the vehicle is so new, I'd take it into a trusted mechanice to have it inspected, as this could be a safety issue (or it may be nothing at all) heck, it could be a loose pulley/belt, or something hanging off the engine and hitting making noise you never know. Do let us know what you find!

Old 10-14-04, 09:51 PM
joecamel75
Visiting Guest
purge solonoid

I hope this is the problem!!! They (Chrysler) mounted the evap purge solonoid on the cowl just above the back of the engine! I have heard a lot of complaints on the noise that you have described. It is a small black piece that has two rather large vacuum lines going to it and 1 electical connector, if you can locate it then put a finger on it and feel it thump and then you can tell if it is the same consistancy as the noise you are heaing! If it is the same then there is no problem this is perfectly normal for your Durango! Please let us know what you find with this! GoodLuck