Beaten By A Belt!!!

Old 10-13-04, 10:07 PM
bigpappa46
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Beaten By A Belt!!!

Please help, anybody, somebody! Need routing diagram for serpentine drive belt on 97 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 L w/AC! Replaced water pump, all went well,ready to reinstall belt, guess what? Manual (Hayes; I'm not knocking it, it's actually fairly good) says refer to sticker on fan shroud(!?! Electric cooling fan...no conventional shroud!), but guess what? No sticker anywhere in engine compartment! All the other ones are there, and to my knowledge, car has not been repainted, but the one I need is absent! I feel like an IDIOT because something this simple has me stymied, but at least I saw a similar inquiry on another website (THEY were MORONS!!!) and Chilton did not include a diagram, either! Please help! I would hate to pay a mechanic $200 to install a $30 part! I am desperate!!!!!!!!!! PLEEZE HELP!!! Wife cannot go shopping, and home life is *&%$! Can't even watch American Chopper or Monster Garage in peace!!!

Last edited by bigpappa46; 10-13-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Find a starting point and then remember that the smooth side of the belt goes on the smooth pulleys and the ribbed side goes on the ribbed pulleys. Should be able to get the parts place where you bought the belt to print you out a diagram also.

Old 10-14-04, 08:30 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I learned that lesson a long time ago. If there is no diagram under the hood, draw yourself one before you take the old belt off.

Old 10-14-04, 10:57 PM
bigpappa46
Visiting Guest
Angry Beaten By A Belt No More

To Car Nut: Thanks for nothing! Woulda, shoulda, coulda, right? Don't waste people's time with nonsense! I would not have posted this if I wasn't already kicking myself. The Tow Guy got me on the right path anyway, and I appreciate a serious attempt to assist, which I got from him. Don't waste people's time!!!

Old 10-14-04, 11:14 PM
bigpappa46
Visiting Guest
Talking Beaten By A Belt No More!!!

To The Tow Guy: Thanks a million! Your advice about ribbed and smooth kinda annoyed me off at first, because I thought "@#%$, does this guy think I'm that stupid?" But, your tip about asking the parts house if they could provide the diagram payed off with a simple line drawing of the routing(thanks to AutoZone in Rosenberg, Tx.). Problem was, this diagram didn't seem to match my engine's pulley layout! While watching the 10 o'clock news and steaming, I suddenly realized that AZ had provided a listing of the components IN THE ORDER THEY WERE TO BE DRIVEN" not necessarilly in their physical location on my engine! Once I digested this epiphany, in 30 minutes my Poncho was running to the local stop & rob for a cold one in celebration! I will recommend this sight to everyone who asks, and, once again, thanks again for a push in the right direction!!!

Old 10-15-04, 09:20 PM
C
Originally Posted by bigpappa46
To Car Nut: Thanks for nothing! Woulda, shoulda, coulda, right? Don't waste people's time with nonsense! I would not have posted this if I wasn't already kicking myself. The Tow Guy got me on the right path anyway, and I appreciate a serious attempt to assist, which I got from him. Don't waste people's time!!!
WELL EXCUSE ME MR. BIGAPPA.!!!!!!

I WAS NOT MAKING FUN OF YOUR SITUATION. I HAVE DONE THE SAME THING.!!! My comment was intended to remind others so they would not make the same mistake that you, I and others have made.

I an so very sorry to have wasted your time!!!

Old 10-18-04, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
It's often difficult to tell in here what a member's experience/intelligence level might be. Hence, when replies are posted some of the more basic info, i.e. ribbed vs. smooth tends to sound a little condescending. BUT you would be surprised how often even the pro's like carnut, et al, inadvertently skip something pretty basic and later do a "DUH!" when they discover the really dumb step they shoulda checked!

Old 10-18-04, 06:26 PM
C
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
It's often difficult to tell in here what a member's experience/intelligence level might be. Hence, when replies are posted some of the more basic info, i.e. ribbed vs. smooth tends to sound a little condescending. BUT you would be surprised how often even the pro's like carnut, et al, inadvertently skip something pretty basic and later do a "DUH!" when they discover the really dumb step they shoulda checked!
Thanks tow guy! Like you said everyone (even those with a lot of experience) can skip a simple step only to realize it later. It was to late for the poster but I was only offering a friendly reminder for others who could fall into the same trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: