tranny

Old 10-14-04, 06:12 AM
tranny

I'am going to change my tranny fluid and filter on a 1997 Olds Shilouette. Is there any little things I should know about this, other then the basics? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 06:20 AM
nope just watch you do not dump all the fluid in your eyes
take the bolts out slowly so as the fluid dumps from only one end of the pan

Old 10-25-04, 05:25 AM
Filter

I bought the filter for this tranny, but taking out of the box and looking at it I can't figure out how it attaches to the transmission. Does it just snap into place? HELP

Old 10-26-04, 09:17 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
There should be one or two screws (or bolts) which secure the filter to the valve body of the transmission - the part inside the drain pan.

Looking at the new filter you have now, you should see the dimpled portion of the filter with the holes near the middle. That's where the screws go. You'll have to reuse the screws from inside the transmission when you take the old filter out. A filter is all you get from your friendly neighborhood parts store; they don't usually splurge for the parts your apt to lose

Another thing to keep in mind when doing a trans service is how long it has been since (or if) it was ever serviced before. I've seen perfectly good, smooth shifting, transmissions go south after changing out the fluid and the filter.

Just be sure to take a good look at the transmission fluid you drain out. There should be NO metal fragments, etc. Even the smallest fragments can cause a trans to go bad. Trust me, I found out the hard way when I rebuilt a TH400 in my '79 Camaro Z28. I put a beveled retaining clip on backwards by mistake. It shredded the trans up in 10 minutes. Had to pull the darn thing out of the car and rebuilt it all over again!

Chris

Old 10-27-04, 04:06 AM
There are no bolts or screws retaining the filter on that trans.The filter is a press fit into the seal in the trans case.Make sure you reuse the gasket that came with the trans if it's black rubber(should be)don't put a paper or cork gasket on it or it will leak.