warm starting problem

Old 10-14-04, 06:19 AM
warm starting problem

Thank you moderators for assisting us.

98 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl 3.1 L. 148K miles: When the engine is warm, I have to keep the gas pedal slightly pressed to get the engine started. Because of this, I am dreadful of running short errands to neighborhood stores. OBD II code reader shows no error code. Just an old car problem? But is there a fix? Thank you for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 06:23 AM
there is a posability the TPS is slightly out of range code will only apper if open or short have TPS Checked
but first try cleaning your throtal body and idle air control motor you may find a world of diferance

Old 10-14-04, 09:41 AM
I will spray clean throttle body and IAC motor (don't quite know what this looks like but I have a shop manual at home). One followup question: I have problem only when starting warm. Once started, idling is no problem like at traffic light, etc. Should I still suspect TPS as one of the culprits?

By the way, do I need a special gauge to check TPS? As far as I remember, it is about $50 part and would rather replace it than buying an instrument to check it. Please advise. Thank you.