Tranmission Fluid

Old 10-14-04, 11:23 AM
jo bloggs
Visiting Guest
Tranmission Fluid

Hi

I have a ten year old diesel Ford Transit, with a 2.5 litre engine and a five speed manual transmission.

The transmission has been replaced with a newer ford transmission, ref. VI 4D 88VT 7K4 00AA.

I want to top up the transmission fluid. According to my Haynes manual, I should use a certain grade of gear oil. However, there is a sticker on the side of the tranmission which says I should use 15/40 engine oil.

If anyone can clear up which I should usee and the likely consequence of using the wrong oil I would really appreciate it. Alternatively if you could suggest an alternative source of info it would br great.

Thanks

Jo

Old 10-14-04, 12:33 PM
reconrick
Visiting Guest
Oil type for ford trans

Use what it says on the sticker on the transmission, it may have been replaced by a revised transmission they were having a certain problem with lubrication with, thats why they are different on the fluid types used in haynes manual verses whats on the transmission.

Master ASE Certified Mopar Technician
Rick (Reconrick)

Old 10-14-04, 02:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When servicing vehicles the stickers on the vehicle are to be followed before any book especialy a Haynes.The only time to vary from that is if the manufacturer has a bulletin advising otherwise.If I were you I would use a synthetic brand for that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: