Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'93 Toyota Camry cut off - won't crank

Visiting Guest

10-16-04, 11:02 AM   #1  
anglophile
'93 Toyota Camry cut off - won't crank

Hello all! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Husband's Camry quit running as he was driving down the motorway (he said it acted as if it was out of gas but the tank was full). He rang me and said it wouldn't crank but made a "high-pitched whining sound".

Well, I got it home, checked the fluids and belts, crawled underneath looking for leaks, etc, etc. When I was able to observe under the hood while the key was turned, I noticed that the pullys are turning. The whining noise may be the standard sound of a Toyota starter.

So ... it's got gas (in the tank), it's injected so I can't do the old 'pour gas down the venturi' trick, Battery's fine, engine isn't locked up ....

I'm guessing fuel pump.

Can anyone hazard a better guess? Does anyone know how much of a PITA it is to change a fuel pump on this car? (I've changed dozens on American cars). I really appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Sponsored Links

10-16-04, 12:51 PM   #2  
How many miles, Timing belt ever replaced?

Visiting Guest

10-16-04, 04:05 PM   #3  
anglophile
Posted By: toyotaman11769 How many miles, Timing belt ever replaced?
180k+, not that I know of (car was inherited)

Thank you for responding!

10-16-04, 04:10 PM   #4  
180k+, not that I know of (car was inherited)
I think it's time, you should be intalling your 3rd belt at 180K.

Group Moderator

FL

10-16-04, 04:21 PM   #5  
And to answer your NEXT question; it's not terribly difficult to change (at least on the 4 cyl engine), but you'll likely need an impact wrench to get the crank pulley bolt out. Change your water pump while you're in there if it's configured like my wife's '95.

Visiting Guest

10-17-04, 07:08 AM   #6  
anglophile
Thank you guys so much for your input!

Soooooooo ... you're suggesting that this is NOT a fuel problem but that the timing belt is ...what? Broken? So i'm anticipating bent valves or worse? Or that it's mearly(!) shredded or loose?

I guess what i'm asking is: should I change the timing belt and not give any more thought to it maybe being the fuel pump?

10-17-04, 07:20 AM   #7  
It sounds like your timing belt broke
Most Toyotas are not valve benders
It really sounds like a typical timing belt problem as opposed to fuel pump

Search this Thread