Convertible Top

Old 10-17-04, 08:20 PM
silvia70535
Visiting Guest
Convertible Top

My convertible top has come undone (unglued I guess) across the bottom part of the back glass window it attaches to all the way across. I have tried an epoxy type glue, super glue, and went to an automotive center and got a clear type silicone they gave me to use and nothing has worked. Is there something actually used by a professional to fix this type of problem and what is it?......Also does anyone have any particular product they use on the vinyl tops to keep them looking good. I have tried so many and they all work for a short time then it turns old looking again..THANKS

Old 10-18-04, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
A good contact cement is probably what you need. 3M makes one specifically for auto trim applications. Comes in a tube. You'll have to make sure any materials from previous attempts are removed and be sure to follow the directions exactly. Ask someone who does auto detailing to recommend something for the vinyl. Of course they'll probably be more receptive if you ask the question as you pay them for the detailing job you just had them do.....

Old 10-20-04, 04:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
other questions...

...how old is this car? does it sit in the sun everyday? where do you live? age, UV exposure and temp variation all play a role in the life of a convertible top...they don't last forever. TTG touched on a important factor...any remaining stuff left over from previous repair attempts MUST be removed...it usually take some nasty chemicals to do that which by their own properties, may make your top issue worse anyway. take it to a pro and get an opinion before you try any more home remedies as it may be time to cut your losses and start saving your shuckles towards a new top...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: