Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'98 Ford Explorer

Visiting Guest

10-20-04, 06:07 AM   #1  
kkelly95
2001 Ford Escape

Ok, sorry but this is for a 2002 Escape, not the explorer.
I have a 2002 Ford Escape with the engine light on. I had the computer read and it's giving me a code P0442 which is an EVAP system leak. Does anyone have any idea of what I could check in order to track down the leak? any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by kkelly95; 10-20-04 at 07:47 AM. Reason: wrong car and problem given.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-20-04, 08:58 AM   #2  
Check your gas cap for starters; beyond that it gets a little more intensive. The evaporative system captures fuel vapors from the gas tank in a charcoal cannister, usually in the engine compartment, and then sends the vapors on into the intake thorugh a purge line to be burned with normal engine operation. I would assume you'll need to be looking for a disconnected/broken/leaking piece of the plumbing in the system.

Might want to pick up a Chilton or Haynes manual to help troubleshoot or if you are goiong to have the vehicle for a while a subscription to Alldata at www.alldata.com (which is your best route).

And BTW, that will be a warranty item - take it to the nearest Ford dealer.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 10-20-04 at 09:11 AM.

Visiting Guest

10-20-04, 10:10 AM   #3  
kkelly95
Excellent, thanks for your help. I wasn't quite sure if it would be a warranty item or not. i knew the light was on when i just took it in for the emissions test for my PA inspection and they gave me the code...the garage i took it to couldn't fix the problem so i was going to give it a shot but i think this time, i'll just take it to a dealer if it's covered by warranty. Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread