Coolant leak

Old 10-20-04, 09:42 AM
Coolant leak

I have a 98 Olds Intrique. Have been loosing antifreeze somewhere. It does not seem to be leaking from a hose or the water pump. I did notice water occationally dripping from what I would assume is the drain through the firewall that the A/C evaporator drains. It has been cool here and the A/C would not be running. I saw it dripping even when there was no pressure in the system and the engine cool. I have been adding just plain water because of the cost of the special Dextron(?) stuff it recomends until I get it fixed. Is it possible that its the heater core or something like that? I always seem to think its worse than it really is. I really dont want to remove it and dont know how to check something like that. I would think that when the radiator has a lot of pressure it would leak worse but I dont think thats the case. Any suggestions? Radiator stop leak? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 11:53 AM
yes it is posable
your carpet may be wet inside car
you may have to get it presure tested to find the leak

Old 10-20-04, 07:16 PM
AutoDoc is right.
Also you are risking serious cooling system problems by not keeping a 50% mixture of DEXCOOL and distilled water in the system. Everything from clogged radiators & heater cores, corroded internal engine parts, to catastrpohic engine failure has been linked to low coolant levels, diluted Dexcool, neglected change intervals, and certain types of radiator caps.
If you do not get the leak fixed and get the proper mixture of Dexcool in there soon you may be spending some BIG money.
If you plan to keep the car it is best to get the heater core replaced if it is leaking. If you decide to use stop leak BARS LEAK original is the only one recomended by GM.

Last edited by car nut; 10-20-04 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 06:46 AM
I am still trying to figure out exactly what my problem is. I let the car run last night about a half hour. Ran it parked and drove it around. Trying to get it hot enough to build up pressure and leak. The hoses never did get pressurized but it is cool outside. Maybe it takes longer than that. The car didnt show that it was overheating. No leak found. Water was circulating in the radiator. Could something be clogged somewhere or bad thermostat? How could I rule that out?

Old 10-21-04, 07:53 AM
if you are loseing coolent its not because of a stat you are either leaking someware or burning it in the engine
thus the reason to bring it to a shop and have them presurize the system
or you can go and buy a coolent system presure tester your self