Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak

Old 10-21-04, 12:46 PM
Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak

I have a 1979 Ford E150 van with the 302 V8, about 130,000 on this engine. Recently, I took the carb off to clean it up and install a carb kit. All went well and the engine runs fine but now there is a sound like an exhaust manifold leak when the engine is under load. I thought it might be in the copper tubes that run from the manifold to the carb but no amount of sealing helps. I cant find where the sound is coming from except it is from the passenger side of the engine.

Could I have hooked up some of the vacuum lines to the carb wrong? Any help or guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-04, 01:31 PM
could be the EGR plate...

...that goes under the carb...perhaps the gasket got messed up during the carb work? it has a gasket top and bottom and it goes between the carb and intake manifold...sometimes they burn thru too.

Old 10-21-04, 04:11 PM
Hopefully not. Those were both replaced when I did the carb work. Also, I removed the carb to check the gaskets.

More suggestions?

Old 10-25-04, 01:26 PM
Well, you were exactly right. I just pulled the carb off - again - and the gasket under the EGR valve housing is shot.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-25-04, 01:55 PM
You better look a little closer at the egr plate carguy was talking about.Make sure there are no burn throughs in that aluminum plate.

Old 10-26-04, 12:53 PM
I checked the plate - not burned through, just a little carbon. Cleaned it up, put a new gasket on and it seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks again.