Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pontiac

CAL

10-21-04, 03:29 PM   #1  
pontiac

Mr. Davo:

Can you explain what the plenum is, and tell me if there is something wrong with the starter, if I have to change it or not, or if I replace the sparkplugs it will work again, if I have to replace the plenum can you give me some advise where can I buy it or how do I ask for it; I'm not familiar with those names, I will apreciate all the help you can give me.

Thankyou very much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-21-04, 04:30 PM   #2  
Davo's probably going to ask for the year and model; might want to post that.

10-21-04, 04:55 PM   #3  
The black plastic part on top of the engine is the intake plenum.Most auto parts now carry them for the 3.8 L vin k engine.You do not need a new starter(not yet anyhow).You will need to replace the plenum,remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over to remove excess coolant from the cylinders.Disconnect the ignition module connector(under the ignition coils) before cranking in case fuel comes out with the coolant.Reconnect the module and replace the spark plugs.The engine will be difficult to start and the exhaust will smoke when it does start but don't be alarmed by that.Towguy I knew the car from a previous thread but don't feel like looking for it.When you replace the plenum be careful not to overtorque the bolts as the new plenum can be cracked.

Group Moderator

FL

10-21-04, 05:20 PM   #4  
Thought maybe you were with the Psychic Friends Network, Davo.

CAL

10-21-04, 06:19 PM   #5  
Mr. Davo

When I replace the plenum Do I have to disconnect the injectors?,Is it really hard to do that?, and what do you mean when you say " crank the engine over" do you think is something I can do my self or you think is better if I take it to a shop or dealer to be fixed. Is that to expensive?, I'd like to do it myself because couple of days after loosing my job was when my car broke, I can spend to much money now.

Thanks for all your help.

10-22-04, 03:20 AM   #6  
Posted By: ccmarnaj When I replace the plenum Do I have to disconnect the injectors?,Is it really hard to do that?, and what do you mean when you say " crank the engine over" do you think is something I can do my self or you think is better if I take it to a shop or dealer to be fixed. Is that to expensive?, I'd like to do it myself because couple of days after loosing my job was when my car broke, I can spend to much money now.
By the sounds of things, repairing it yourself could end up being more costly than paying someone to do it.
This doesn't sound like a job for you.

10-22-04, 03:12 PM   #7  
Cranking the engine means turning the key like you are trying to start it.Yes the injectors need removed.I don't know your level of expertise but I think changing the back 3 spark plugs is the worst part of the job.If you attempt to do it yourself get a manual or an Alldata subscription for your car.A shop will likely be between $400-$500 for the job.If you do it your self easily under $200 including buying the manual or subscription.Sounds like you have enough time to do it now sorry to say.

IA

10-22-04, 07:27 PM   #8  
If you have the 3.8L engine.(with black plastic intake) located under large grey engine cover.
pull plugs and dry them with heat, crank engine over to pump out water from cykinders.
Disconnect battery
Relieve pressure from fuel rails
Disconnect fuel rail and injectors
Remove 2 vacuum lines, 3plug wires from forward head,around 6 wire connectors,remove alternator,10 nuts from plastic intake-(8) 8mm and (2) 10mm .
Remove intake, remove throttle body.Suck out antifreeze that is on top of engine
Reinstall in reverse
Change oil.
Just did one tonight.
3 hrs
Same issue,no start due to cylinders full of water.
Unless everything went to hell at once starter should be fine.
Wont turn over-Hydrolocked(cylinders full of coolant)
Plenum(intake at Napa $129.00
Might have missed a few items.
Just in a hurry.

CAL

10-25-04, 07:34 PM   #9  
Mr. Davo

I did what you told me to do and a fixed that problem, I changed the plenum, and I had to replace the starter too, the lick is fixed, I pressure test it and it's ok, but when I drove it for like 20 minutes the engine ligth came on, Is there somenthing else that I have to do or why do you think it turned on?
I really aprecciate what you are doing to help me.
Thankyou Mr. Davo.

10-26-04, 04:07 AM   #10  
Go to an Autozone and have the codes read(it's free)don't buy anything yet come back and post the code numbers not the description they give you.

CAL

10-27-04, 11:44 PM   #11  
Mr. Davo

I scanned my car and the codes that I got are P0122 and P0301.
What should I do?

10-28-04, 04:09 AM   #12  
Make sure that your plug wires are on properly and that the tps is plugged in properly(side of the throttle body where you changed a gasket the first time).

CAL

10-28-04, 10:25 AM   #13  
Mr. Davo

I checked the wires and the plugs and they seem to look ok, I disconnect the tps and reconnected again and the ligth remains on

10-28-04, 01:58 PM   #14  
Go back to autozone and ask if they will clear the codes for you.

CAL

10-28-04, 06:26 PM   #15  
Mr. Davo

I had the codes erased, from the autozone to my house is a 10 minutes drive and the ligth didn't come on, Does it mean it's fixed or do I have to drive it for more time?. One more question Mr. Davo, Do you know anything about a recall on 1999's pontiac boneville?

Thanks for all your help.

I almost forgott, the driver back window stopped working, I can't roll it down, whit the drivers button and neither with its own control, any sugestions?
Thanks again for all your help.

10-29-04, 02:45 PM   #16  
The recall may be for a fuel pressure regulator and you will get a letter when it's your turn to go in for service as it is being done in stages to maintain a stock level to perform the recall.If the window doesn't work the motor or regulator would be the first things to check.If you need further help with the window please post a new question in the forum.If the light didn't come back on you should be ok.

Search this Thread