Which torque wrench for Saturn wheels?

Old 10-22-04, 11:31 AM
dsann
Visiting Guest
Which torque wrench for Saturn wheels?

I need a torque wrench to change wheels on my 1997 Saturn SC2. How do I determine whether I need a 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch wrench? Also, any recommendations on brands would be appreciated. I'd like to spend between $80-$150. Many thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Old 10-22-04, 01:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You should have lug nut wrench in the trunk. Use it and send the money to your favorite charity. Just tighten the nuts using the every other one method eg: If you have four lugs go 1-3-2-4 and if you have five, go 1-3-5-2-4. Do this twice, pull them snug the first time around and then give them an extra tug on the second round.

Old 10-22-04, 02:23 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should buy a 1/2 click type torque wrench.Shop around for it at different auto parts places.S/K,Craftsman or something similar.I would not invest in a Snap On or the likes just for the wheels on your car or for private use alone.

Old 10-22-04, 04:45 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1/2

I would get the 1/2 drive click type the beam type is hard to read when not straight on it.Craftsman is plenty good.(Important after every use zero out torque wrench for storage),Also never drop wrench.Also buy a good deep socket not a walmart.

Old 10-22-04, 05:14 PM
dsann
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies. On the issue of whether to use a lug wrench or a torque wrench, I've been using a lug wrench. I am not confident I'm getting the nuts tight enough and I'm afraid of getting them too tight. I change the wheels frequently for autocrossing. (I drive on street tires to an event then mount R-compound tires on different rims.) Believe me, I'd rather not spend the $$ on a torque wrench. Nevertheless I don't have a lot of mechanical experience to know "by feel" whether I'm getting it tight enough/too tight.

I'll probably head to Sears and pick up a good 1/2 Craftsman, hopefully for less than $100.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: