92 Crysler 5th Ave brakes

Old 10-23-04, 06:35 AM
Bill Marts
Visiting Guest
92 Crysler 5th Ave brakes

My 92 5th Ave has lost its ABS power brakes. The Haynes book has no real information other than checking electrical connections. It says to get it analyzed at a shop. How can I trouble shoot this system? And how can I get information on this brake system?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 07:23 AM
You need to clarify things here. Losing your ABS does not make you lose your brakes. If your just having a brake failure, then treat it like any other brake failure and look for the cause at things like fluid loss. The ABS system can be totally inoperable and you'll still have normal brakes.

Old 10-23-04, 07:26 AM
Bill Marts
Visiting Guest
power brakes

It has lost its power brakes. I only listed ABS since it appears that it was optional in the manual.

Old 10-23-04, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Bill Marts
It has lost its power brakes. I only listed ABS since it appears that it was optional in the manual.
Same advice, just have the system inspected thoroughly for leaks and any other problems found. Is the master cylinder still full?

Old 10-23-04, 07:41 AM
Bill Marts
Visiting Guest
MS still full

Yes, the MS is full. Everything checks out that is basic to me. I need to learn about this system. I can't tell if it is vacume of hydraulic power. I can find no vacume tank. It has a small pressure tand on the MS that appears to be hydraulic, but I cant trace any lines back to the power steering pump. If I could see a scamatic of the system, I could approach it more intelligently. The brake pads are all great. The break calipers all appear to be working.

Old 10-23-04, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Bill Marts
If I could see a scamatic of the system, I could approach it more intelligently.
No such thing........ You really should trust this to a professional to determine the problem. You could have a bad Master cyl but further inspection is necessary and you don't really have enough understanding of the system to get an accurate diagnosis.

Old 10-23-04, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
You need to clarify things
Give a more detailed description of the problem. Is the ABS light on or are you having a problem related to stopping the car or both? Soft or hard brake pedal? Explain what happens when you step on the brake pedal.

Old 10-23-04, 01:20 PM
Bill Marts
Visiting Guest
More description of problem

This problem occurred after shutting the car off and restarting it an hour later. The ABS light and brake lights are on. The peddle is very hard. It takes 2 feet to stop quickly. MS fluid is fine. Pads are fine. All calipers are squeezing and releasing. There is no power assist.

Old 10-23-04, 01:56 PM
I'm with Desi on this one - leave it to a pro. That car is equipped with a Bendix 10 ABS system, which means that you have no typical "power assist." It comes from an electronic computer controlled pump/motor assembly integrated into the hydraulic control unit. It can be very dangerous to work on due to the pressures involved - 2300+ psi.