Balancing Driveshaft

Old 10-23-04, 04:52 PM
Balancing Driveshaft

A neighbor came over and asked me if I ever balanced a driveshaft the other day. Ive done a lot of things myself, but never had to do that. He said he had read a procedure somewhere for doing it yourself, but my thoughts would be that that job should be done by a driveline specialty shop. Anybody out there ever do it themselves?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 09:15 PM
This should be done by a professional since the driveshaft could be out of balance or bent or both.

I did one myself years ago. I had the car up on jack stands and had someone accelerate the car in gear. You could see the driveshaft go out of balance as the speed picked up. I taped a piece of chalk to a yardstick and held the yard stick against the floor board to steady it and slid it over until the chalk hit the out of balance driveshaft. Then I hose clamped some wheel weights on the opposite side of the driveshaft. It took some trial and error with different weights but I got it balanced. I drove the car for over 100,000 miles with no noticable vibration with the same u-joints.