Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oldsmobile Intrigue 2000 Pwr Steering Out

Visiting Guest

10-24-04, 07:21 AM   #1  
stmcdaniel
Oldsmobile Intrigue 2000 Pwr Steering Out

The power steering has gone out in my 2000 Olds Intrigue. The pump seems to be okay, no loss of fluid at all. It seemed to be intermittant then went out all together. I have been told it is a sensor that is the issue... this is a sensor that controls the function of the power steering depending on the speed your going. Any help... does this make sense? Where is this sensor? If this sensor exists, how can I test it? Replace it? Thanks for any information or help.

Sponsored Links

10-24-04, 08:35 AM   #2  
You most likely have a bad pump or rack and pinion.I think the pump is much cheaper so hope for that.Try removing the serp belt and see if the pump shaft can be wiggled side to side or in and out alot.If it can the pump shaft may be broken inside the housing.

Visiting Guest

10-24-04, 08:44 AM   #3  
stmcdaniel
Thanks Davo - Question

I would not have any power steering fluid loss if the pump was bad? 2nd just because I'm curious what would go wrong in the rack and pinion that would allow it to still steer but be so hard to steer... seals? Thanks for the help?

10-24-04, 08:51 AM   #4  
The pump may have failed internally and would not leak,the rack could have a failed spool valve or failed pinion bearings allowing steering but difficult.

Visiting Guest

10-24-04, 11:32 AM   #5  
stmcdaniel
One more question Davo

So I take it the sensor I was told about does not even exist? Again thanks for all your information, and I will let you know the outcome.

10-24-04, 02:28 PM   #6  
There is an optional steering assist system but i don't think it can completely take out the power steering. Here's Alldata's description

Variable Effort Steering System Check

Circuit Description
The Variable Effort Steering (VES) diagnostic system check is an organized approach to identify problems associated with the Magnetic Steering Variable Assist (MSVA) system also known as MAGNASTEER(R) . The MSVA system varies the driver effort required to steer as the vehicle speed changes. At low speeds, the system requires minimum steering effort for easy turning and parking maneuvers. Steering effort is increased at higher speeds in order to provide the driver with firmer steering (road feel) and directional stability. MSVA accomplishes this by adding or subtracting torque in the rotary input shaft to the power rack and pinion. When the vehicle is stationary, MSVA adds torque to assist the driver in turning the steering wheel. As the vehicle speed increases, the torque provided by MSVA decreases. MSVA increases resistance to the turning of the steering wheel for improved road feel at higher speeds. The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) controls the current to the MSVA actuator to increase or decrease the torque provides by the actuator. The EBCM uses the inputs from the ABS wheel speed sensors and the steering wheel position sensor to calculate the amount of torque applied by the MSVA actuator.

I might more suspect the pump or pressure valve in the pump.
The VES module can be accessed with a scanner to view it's data.

Search this Thread