94 ford p/u 4w/D QUESTION

Old 10-25-04, 05:47 AM
urbanoutlaw
Visiting Guest
94 ford p/u 4w/D QUESTION

Hi,To All,
Last time I was here the people that reached out to help me were right on the money.(Major bail out) Thanx to all.
Ok-when I put my truck in 4/w I have a nasty sound come from the front set of the drive train, it sounds to me that it could be the U-JOINT.WHAT TO DO TO CHECK IT OUT??/ and is there anything else it could be??The noise seems not to be there all the time.There is some play in the front shaft by hand.Would be nice if this was just a fuse like the last time out but I don't think so, but then it being a fuse the last time blew my mind had no clue that would have anything to do with the truck shifting.So here I am again,This time I know that if I'm to get stright input this is the place to come and ask for input.
TRUCK;1994 FORD FLARESIDE
4.9 fule injection
auto trans
All input would be greatly helpful,Thanks.Kman

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 02:25 PM
You need to determine if the play is in the u-joint or the flange it bolts to and is it a back and forth when turning the shaft or a up and down from forcing the shaft up and down or side to side.

Old 10-27-04, 11:02 AM
urbanoutlaw
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hi,Davo,
Thankx for the input,wound up working ot last few days 3p-11p+4hrs a night puts me outta work at 3a,hope to get under the truck sat or sun.I'll check out what you said and let you know what gives.Got what your talkin about thanks again.
Peace K

Old 11-04-04, 03:27 AM
urbanoutlaw
Visiting Guest
Hi ,Davo
OK,sorry bout the time frame worked alot of o-t the last few weeks and it got me dragin my butt.Went under truck and checked as you said--shaft from trans to front ax-on a roll by hand has a play from 12p to about 1p same on shaft to p/s no up and down on both
While i was under there lookin found that there is a peace of the oil pan gasket stickin out about a 3" peace to the point i can see 1/2 the cutout for the whole patten on two wholes. Q is can i drop the pan and change the gasket with out lifting the motor. Planing on some vacation days and have a list of stuff to do before the winter sets in.
The truck has 109,000 on it but I realy like the boby style and so on.all input would be greatly accepeted

Thanx K

Old 11-04-04, 02:42 PM
On the noise remove the front driveshaft,put it in 4wd drive and see if the noise is still there.We are going to attempt to isolate the noise to be sure it's coming from the front.The engine will need jacked up to do the gasket or you can try removing the shock from it's lower mount and jacking the truck up under the bumper.If that works be careful with the brake hoses the calipers may need to be removed to keep from stretching the hoses.It works on the older body style never tried on your style.If it does you will need to rotate the pan 180 degrees after it's unbolted to get it out of there.May have to remove the oil pump also.Let us know what you find with the driveshaft removal.