Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge Intrepid engine ruined

VA

10-25-04, 08:53 AM   #1  
Dodge Intrepid engine ruined

I've got a '97 Dodge Intrepid with 51,000 miles that my daighter drove with no oil in it. Engine runs, but heavy damage, clunking, vibration, most likely bearings shot. My question is: I only paid $3,500, it runs well otherwise, don't know if I should junk it?, pull the engine, get a new short block?, a rebuilt engine?, junkyard replacement? Pull it apart over the winter and replace shaft, bearings, whatever? Sending to a shop is too expensive, so whatever it is will be on my back. Any suggestions are welcome. thanks. tom

Sponsored Links

10-25-04, 10:42 AM   #2  
I would go with a rebuilt long block
wih no oil psi head could hahe problems
i do not like used you dont know what your getting prior owner may not have put oil in either

Visiting Guest

10-25-04, 12:02 PM   #3  
stmcdaniel
I would pull the top end off and inspect things first. See what you really have. Is anything worth using? Maybe put engine on stand drop pan etc. and then make your decision. A junkyard can be a good source, look for a car that was junked do to rearend damage that had decent mileage and a yard that gives some type of warranty period in writing... quite a few do.

Thats how I would go about it, and maybe do what I did get the daughter directly involved so she can see first hand what her actions caused and learn some things that might help her down the road if shes on her own and breaks down. Just some advice from a father of two whos been there. GoodLuck

Search this Thread