belt dragging over AC compressor

Old 10-25-04, 06:59 PM
belt dragging over AC compressor

On a 1990 Mercury Cougar the serpentine belt runs over AC compressor. Noticed that with AC off it's not spinning freely.Is it bad clotch or that's how it supposed to be? I seem to remember AC compressor speen as fast as,say, the alternator . AC works OK, most of the components were replaced 4 years ago( including the compressor) and AC converted to R-134a.Thank you for your help.
Irina

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-04, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
If you try to spin the center section of the compressor pulley with the belt on you will feel some resistance. If you remove the belt and spin the portion where the belt rides it should spin freely.

Old 10-26-04, 05:28 AM
Ok, Tow Guy, but what I was trying to say the compressor pulley stalls and barely spins when the engine is running and the AC is off. With AC on it spins, but I hear the noise that seems louder than just compressor's. BTW, I tried to rotate the pulley with the belt on and it wont move. Any suggestions? Is it safe to run the AC? Will the belt wear out? What should I check/replace?
Thanks, Irina

Old 10-26-04, 12:43 PM
do it like this...

remove the belt...spin the part that the belt rides on (grooved part) and it should spin VERY easily..any noise roughness or resistance and the pulley bearing is failing and must be serviced. as TTG stated..the center portion of the compressor should be sort of hard to turn but smooth feeling...it definately won't spin by hand.

now...if the pulley stops turning when the engine runs...the bearing is locking up and if you don't have it repaired right away...you'll ruin the entire compressor.

Old 10-27-04, 06:19 AM
took the car to the shop and they want to replace compressor+ dryer. As I looked closer there is reddish dust all around compressor. Probably means it 've been going on for a while. Do you think compressor is ruined? It's only three years old. Of corse, came with one year warranty .They said they would not take it apart to replace just bearings. Should I try to find someone who will do the bearings only, or the sistem is full of shavings already? Thanks,everybody.
irina

Old 10-27-04, 08:05 AM
if the hub...

...or snout of the compressor is damaged then it must be replaced (the compressor). i'm not sure why techs don't want to replace bearings anymore...you may want to call around and see if anyone else will make that repair for you...but again...it hinges on whether or not the bearing itself turned on the snout of the compressor...it it did then replace the compressor.

ps...all of this is outside of the refrigeration part of the system so no shavings can get inside the compressor...the drier replacement is an insurance part that usually accompanies repairs involving opening the system up. it's not a bad idea to do it...

Old 10-27-04, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
The shops probably don't want to replace the bearings because if they do and two weeks later the same customer is back with a failed cpmpressor, they will end up eating the cost of the bearing replacement when the customer screams bloody murder.

Old 10-28-04, 04:01 AM
we are such...

...a letigious society...no one wants to take responsibility for anything they say or do, least of all a service customer, because it's ALWAYS someone else's fault and therefore they should be sued. *climbs off the soapbox*

Old 10-28-04, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Towed a lady's vehicle the other day. Had an alarm system (I think there's about 10 cars stolen annually in the county, LOL) that was a PITA. Wouldn't turn off when you put the key in the ignition and when I pushed the button on the remote on the key ring the button (which had obviously been pushed every time she had gotten in the vehicle - hundreds of times) fell inside the little housing. I opened the hood and pulled the wire loose from the connector to the PA speaker.
Result? We are going 50% with her on a replacement remote. Knew from experience with the public that we would never hear the end of it if we didn't.

Old 10-28-04, 04:53 AM
pathetic...

...isn't it?

you touched it...so it must be your fault!

just what are we teaching our kids...

Old 10-28-04, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
We probably could have gotten away from that one for nothing, but in this particular case it's probably worth the $10 or so. All she has to do is mention how honest we were, etc, etc, to a friend who needs a tow and it's paid for. On the flip side, if we had PO'd her, she would have been using our name in vain for years.

Unfortunately, Tow Guy gets to hear a lot of garage-directed compaints about previous work (even though we have no connection). "I don't know what the problem is, I just had in for _______________ and now it won't _______________________". Insert any and all parts/systems on the car in either of the blanks. Nine out of ten times if the problem IS related to earlier work, the garage will make it right AND pay the tow bill.

Old 10-30-04, 12:57 PM
how about

when shop takes your car in and puts a couple of new scratches and chips paint on your fenders and you don't notice until couple of days later, but then they say it's too-o-o-o late to talk about it because car is out. The worst part is that you 've been giving them your business for years. Well, more reasons to DIY, ha-ha