Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mustang wont start

Visiting Guest

10-27-04, 06:47 AM   #1  
royalet
mustang wont start

here i go again, 1989 5.0 5spd, car hasent been drive in a week, got to car (1) battery was dead (brand new) so i jumped it went down the road, car ran like crap, ended up trying to jump it again, this time didnt work, spark shot from the terminal of the batterywhen attempting the jum, so we reconnected the cables one last time,, the car tried to start, and i didnt even have the key in the ignition, notice some smoke coming from around the starter solenoid, any ideas?

Sponsored Links

10-27-04, 10:50 AM   #2  
"so i jumped it went down the road, car ran like crap,"

check your grounds and alternator cables. The engine must be grounded, and the battery ground needs to connect to the body.

Visiting Guest

10-27-04, 10:52 AM   #3  
royalet
Mustang

I Forgot To Say That I Saw Smoke Coming From The Hood Near The Fender, I Think The Dam Solenoid Went Out On Me

10-28-04, 07:21 AM   #4  
That solonoid will smoke when overheated or overloaded, doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, that little solonoid is one of the few things on a ford that almost never goes out. Sounds like you def have a short somewhere since it's starting without the key in the ignition

Visiting Guest

10-28-04, 07:26 AM   #5  
royalet
mustang

yeah i brought a new one and installed it, the car started right up, so i am still going to check all the wiring also, thanks,but let me ask you this for a modified engine, hen installing the spark plugs, would the gap be set to manufacturer or should it be set differently

10-28-04, 07:45 AM   #6  
what is modified? you should put your mods in your signiture. heads/cam/intake, or just exhaust work and gears??

Visiting Guest

10-28-04, 07:56 AM   #7  
royalet
mustang

ok its got the basic 302 with a cobra upper and lower intake, e303 cam, under drive pullies, bored .30 over, trickflow heads, edelbrock exhaust, h-pipe, 75mm tb, cold air induction, 1.6 rockers or 1.7 i cant remember, flex fan, tremac trans, 373 gears, headers, no cats, the rest is just like suspension work, but thats the engine

10-28-04, 08:25 AM   #8  
truthefully, my bro and I are in process right now of building our first real engine (he picks it up today, woot woot) slick50 browses this forum and will probably see this question and answer it for you. Have you been on the corral yet?

Visiting Guest

10-28-04, 08:38 AM   #9  
royalet
mustang

i have been on their one time, I will try them also. Thanks

10-28-04, 09:18 AM   #10  
gap

Yes, I would post your ? on the corral
There should be many people there that have a similar combo and have tried differnt gaps/plugs
I mean, stock is fine but if you have some aftermarket ignition parts (I thought you did) you can/may want to increase the gap
If you do post there put all the info you can in your post/sig

10-28-04, 09:20 AM   #11  
hah, I meant slickshift, not slick50

10-28-04, 09:26 AM   #12  
close enough
Hi jt

Search this Thread