Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cruise Control

10-27-04, 06:24 PM   #1  
Cruise Control

I just bought a pretty nice 97 Ranger. Very good condition and decently equipped except it doesn't have cruise control. Is that something that could be added? I know controls would need to be added on the steering wheel, probably some wiring, the unit under the hood, pedal sensors on the clutch & brake etc. What else might be involved? Computer? Some sensor on the transmission? Is this even something reasonable to contemplate...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-27-04, 08:26 PM   #2  
You might check with a dealer and see how much they would charge. You may already have provisions for the oem unit to be installed that would involve putting in the control unit and installing the control panel with existing wiring. An aftermarket unit would involve all that you listed plus usually magnets on the driveshaft and the pickup unit to sense the vehicle speed from the magnets plus a vacuum connection. Not a very difficult operation. You might browse J.C. Whitney, they'll have several types. I've used the aftermarket ones on a couple of my older vehicles and had good service from them.

Visiting Guest

10-28-04, 04:10 PM   #3  
derby98
cruise

Call 1-800-433-1740 (Specific Cruise Systems) ask for a authorized c/c installer in your area. SCS builts c/c kits for Ford Motor Company.

Search this Thread