Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

re:tire size formula?

Visiting Guest

10-27-04, 08:04 PM   #1  
streak
re:tire size formula?

hi! i hope someone can help me.i recall something about tire sizes and going up or down. i have a 1995 nissan altima with 205/60/15's apparently factory size.can i go narrower on the same rim? i've seen later models with the same rim size but with narrower tires.hoping i can save a few bucks on replacements.any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-27-04, 08:19 PM   #2  
splashchris
I'm sure there are several tire/rim enthusiast boards out there where you can get some great feedback. Personally, when it comes to tires and brakes, I never take chances.

The manufacturer specifies a size for several reasons - the first of which is safety. Additionally, the rim width and tire width are specified so that the lateral stability of the vehicle remains within design parameters. In your case, saving a few dollars by going with thinner tires puts less rubber on the road from a cross sectional perspective. This increases the tendency for the vehicle to understeer or oversteer - both of which are very undesirable scenarios and can land you and yours in a heap of trouble.

My advice is to stick with the recommended tire size for your vehicle and ensure your air pressure is consistently maintained. There have been many accidents reported due to under-inflated tires blowing out.

Chris

CANADA

10-28-04, 10:18 AM   #3  
This may help ya!
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

10-28-04, 03:35 PM   #4  
Yes, there are formulas to make a tire come out to the same height, but should you do it???? That's the question. Splashchris gave you some good advice. your asking for trouble when you start substituting tire sizes. That said, the narrower equilivent would be a 195/70/15 which is rarer than and honest car salesman. Your OE size will end up being the cheapest way to go. It's not even an expensive tire. What's the problem?

Visiting Guest

10-28-04, 06:20 PM   #5  
streak
re:tire size formula

thanks for the info.i appreciate it.i was just curious about the sizing.to me it is only about an 80 dollar diff.[canadian] for all four,but the big diff.is the way a narrower tire performs in the slush and snow.that was my main concern.

CANADA

10-28-04, 06:37 PM   #6  
Obsolutely...as mentioned previously. I would never go 'lower' or 'narrower' in size. No way. - and WHY??
If anything, again as mentioned, go 'UP' in size, not lower.
Yes, there are many tire/rim enthusiasts who want their 'ride' lowered - bigger tires..etc.etc.. - But as whats been said... YOU DO NOT want to compromise the handling and characteristics of your car's ride and handling. You can go 'conservative' to a slightly larger/wider tire PROVIDING the new arrangement is near to 'spec' of your cars OEM spec.
For 'every action - there is a re-action' - especially when it comes to your tires and the traction they provide you, your occupants..and handling characteristics of your car.
Bigger tires/rims will have an effect on your bearings/hubs, control arms,.etc etc...possibly causing more wear and tear on those components.. (as I have read).
In my case, on my regular car, I went from stock 15" rims with stock 205.55/15's tires...to 16" rims with 205/50/16 tires. Keeps the speedo in synch and minimal (if any) compromise to the OEM setup and ride.
Granted, Im now on 7.5" rims VS stock - and the handling has quite improved... but I also added a rear strut tower bar/brace for added handling on a FWD car... and the Altima..believe it or not, does share (or has some compatible) components to an MX6.
Either way, I would certainly not recommend going to a narrower tire.
It really serves no purpose.....especially when you and your fellow occupants are concerned.
Another point which is 'CRITICAL', as mentioned earlier....Tire Inflation You/me/us/everyone...should spend the little time needed to check your tire pressure periodically. I know now-adays, its hard to find 'Full Service' gas stations... Do your self(ves) a favor and invest in a decent tire pressure gauge...and check your tires regularly...and periodically. That is the best investment you'll ever have to spend.
That's my $.02 worth!!!!

CANADA

10-28-04, 06:43 PM   #7  
I just saw/rsvp'd) your post after my 'lengthly' post...
I believe your Altima is FWD. Correct!
I would not think you should have a problem with the Ontario winters with near to OEM tires on a FWD car.
IMO, FWD vehicles are much more reliable ..and stable in the snow, etc, than RWD vehicles. This is only my observation and experience.
Granted Im in BC where the winters are not nearly as harsh as the East (sorry ...but true).
Either way, I would much rather be in a FWD car than a RWD car in the winter weather....or wet..or whatever.
Again... just my $.05 (CAD$-vs $.02USD$) worth......

Visiting Guest

10-29-04, 06:39 AM   #8  
streak
thank you very much for the info.i will definitely stick with OE size for my car.

10-29-04, 03:12 PM   #9  
That said, the narrower equilivent would be a 195/70/15 which is rarer than and honest car salesman. Desi do you remember when the AMC Eagle had those 195/75r15 tires.All we could ever get for them were 205/75r15 and we had to adjust the caster to keep them from rubbing the wheel wells.

10-29-04, 04:31 PM   #10  
Posted By: davo That said, the narrower equilivent would be a 195/70/15 which is rarer than and honest car salesman. Desi do you remember when the AMC Eagle had those 195/75r15 tires.All we could ever get for them were 205/75r15 and we had to adjust the caster to keep them from rubbing the wheel wells.
I not only remember, I was running a tire store during those years. There were a few odd balls that ended up with something like that. I remember a Volvo that used a 185/75/15. Michelin was the only one that made it, in a pin stripe red wall of all things. Some people used the VW bug size of 165/R15

Search this Thread