gmc truck

Old 10-28-04, 12:31 AM
gmc67
Visiting Guest
gmc truck

I have a problem with my gmc '67 truck, it's not charging the battery, I check tha alternator and is working, change the voltage regulator, change the starter, check the wires and couldn't find anything.
please help me out. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 04:06 AM
check the ...

...voltage drop of the charging circuit. positive meter probe on the big red wire on the back of the alt, negative on the positive battery post...less than 100 millivolts is normal (be sure to have the engine running and the headlamps on when doing this test)

next test...positive meter probe on the alt case (ground) and the negative probe on the negative battery post...again with engine running and a load placed on the charging system...100 millivolts or less would be good.

if you get a reading higher than spec...you have resistance somewhere...a battery cable, a body/chassis/engine ground, the red wire coming off the back of the alt.

just curious...how do you know it's charging correctly...and why did you replace the starter??

Old 10-28-04, 10:33 AM
gmc67
Visiting Guest
I took the truck to a autoparts store and they check the alternator and it was charging good, the starter I read that could be a reazon for the problem and I change it, Do you know a way to check for a bad wire or a short circuit?
Thanks.

Old 10-28-04, 03:13 PM
Have you had the battery tested? It may not be taking the charge.

Check for corrosion at the battery terminals. That will cause a lot of resistance. Take the cables off the battery because you may have corrrosion where the terminals clamp around the posts and it may not be visible on the outside of the terminals.

Old 10-28-04, 03:24 PM
gmc67
Visiting Guest
It's a new battery, I replace the terminals too.

Old 10-28-04, 08:01 PM
A few questions:

Did the problem start shortly after installing the new battery or did you replace the battery trying to fix the problem? Make sure the terminals are tight, incuding the chasis ground terminal.

Does the car run fine if you jump start it (except for not charging the battery)?

If you haven't replaced the cables, it may be a good idea, since you have replaced or tested everything else.

Are you getting any power from the battery if you try to start the truck or turn on the lights or is it completely dead?

Old 11-01-04, 04:00 AM
stop guessing...

...and get a meter and do the tests i decribed. post your results if you don't understand and we'll decipher for you. throwing parts at it is expensive

Search this Thread