balljoints

Old 10-29-04, 08:40 PM
90dodge
Visiting Guest
balljoints

hey all, i was hearing a grinding coming from my passenger side tire on my 1990 dodge ram d250. so upon inspection it looks as if the cotter pin holding the castle nut on the upper ball joint came out and the castle nut started coming undone. so now im going to replace the upper ball joint. Autozone wants 22$ for it. so anyway, install looks fairly straight forward, do i need a balljoint press? it looks like it bolts in but ive never done a ball joint before. how hard are the lowers? i figure i might as well do all 4 while im at it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-04, 04:53 AM
If that ball joint came loose to the point of make a lot of noise, then you can bet you also ruined the knuckle.
You don't even mention if this is 4 wheel drive or 2. If you've never changed a ball joint before, then you may want to send that job out to a professional. It requires a press to remove them from the control arm/axle.

Old 10-30-04, 02:18 PM
angrypete
Visiting Guest
Mean headache

I would only attempt this job if you have some time on your hands. It's not too difficult, your hammer will become your best friend. You will also need an alignment if/when you finish the job

Old 10-30-04, 06:52 PM
You'll do a lot of damage trying to replace those using a hammer. You could end up having to buy a control arm also.

Old 10-30-04, 09:10 PM
90dodge
Visiting Guest
well my first problem will be finding the correct part as i had to go back home to get a part number cause autozones computers decided to screw up and were throwing the wrong part numbers out. so tomorro im heading back upthere so i can finaly get this done and over with. im not to concerned on not being able to do it as ive done alkinds of work o my cherokee such as complete rear brakes (lines included) front brakes, callipers, pads rotors, done a fuel tank/ fuel pump/ sending unit in both my dads old s10 blazer and my friends cavalier. not to m,entionm installing a few lift kits on trucks and of course building a rear tow bumper for my old cherokee (btw came out real good) so im mechanicly inclined. the job looks fairly straight forward as its a threaded ball joint. my only questions are even tho its threaded will anything have to be pressed in? also what needs to come off the axle in order to remove it? course the caliper and rotor (and yea tire) but will the hub need to also? and are there any fairly cheap replace while its apart things?
sorry for all the questions
thanks
andy

Old 10-31-04, 02:41 AM
Have fun......