Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Diesel fuel question???

Visiting Guest

11-01-04, 07:06 AM   #1  
old_chipper
Diesel fuel question???

Help? Guys. I have a F350 Super Duty Crew Cab XLT Diesel 29,200 miles on it. Heres my problem. It has a 102 gal fuel tank. One tank! I can drive from Tx to VA on one tank! I'm now retired. When I was driving 55 miles a day to work, it was great. But now I average 100 miles a week. Do I keep it full, and worry about the fuel going bad,(how long will diesel last?) or keep 10-20 gallons in it and worry about water in the tank. I love this truck and really would hate to mess it up. Please help me out???

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-01-04, 08:18 AM   #2  
pfc168
you don't really have to worry about diesel fuel getting bad by itself. you can get water in your tank from the fuel station. it won't hurt your engine to put 2 or 3 gallon of gas in your 102 gals diesel fuel tank. gas kills bacteria that produce algae.

VA

11-01-04, 10:31 AM   #3  
forget gasoline...

...and get a fuel stabalizer specifically for diesel fuel...and keep the tank full.

Visiting Guest

11-01-04, 03:51 PM   #4  
boflaade
Posted By: carguyinva ...and get a fuel stabalizer specifically for diesel fuel...and keep the tank full.
I drive them for a living and suggest you follow what he is saying. Gas is a no no and conditioner will help if you think you need to add something. The Tank is best full because the return diesel to the tank is warm, causing condensation and hence moisture. Running the truck keeps the fuel filtered and the diesel is not going to get bad.

MO

11-01-04, 03:57 PM   #5  
Thats why you keep a jetplane tanks full all the time.

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 07:23 AM   #6  
old_chipper
thanks

thanks,
That makes good sense, I'll go sell a calf and fill her up. It's up to $2.20 here, I understand it's higher other places!

Visiting Guest

11-02-04, 07:44 AM   #7  
boflaade
Posted By: old_chipper thanks,
That makes good sense, I'll go sell a calf and fill her up. It's up to $2.20 here, I understand it's higher other places!
I live in Canada and we do pay more. Once it's full you just have to keep it topped once in a while. The concern is just in the winter months and next summer you can let the calf get a bit fatter.

Search this Thread