Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel problem

Visiting Guest

11-03-04, 06:39 AM   #1  
jeffw60
Fuel problem

93 Hyundai 1.5L.
I have had previous posts on this problem and everything had pointed to and ECM, but after further diagnostics, I have my doubts.
The problem is the engine starts to cut out, stall, won't idle, and the check engine light flashes 4-4's then 3-3's constantly, which means no codes on the 4-4 and end of codes on the 3-3. I have studied this problem for two weeks now and I have noticed that this problem goes away when the fuel level is 1/4 tank to empty. The engine runs flawless with only this much fuel. If I fill the tank or only fill it to a half a tank, the problem exists until the level gets down to a 1/4 tank. I have changed the fuel filter and installed another fuel cap, but it hasn't helped. Any idea??

Sponsored Links

11-03-04, 07:49 AM   #2  
there could be dirt in the tank that gets caught around the sock in the tank this would have to be your next step run it low and remove the tank check in side or send it out to be cleaned if the pump is in the tank on this model may be a good idea to change it since you have it out any way and it would also rule it out if problem still exist after

Visiting Guest

11-03-04, 08:04 AM   #3  
jeffw60
I did not mention this, but a few weeks ago I thought I had some bad fuel, so I drained the tank from the drain plug and no debri was found in the fuel. Could this problem be a weak fuel pump? I'm not sure how it works. Could it not pump very good or pump to high of pressure when there is a half tank or more of fuel?

11-03-04, 02:53 PM   #4  
It could be that in some way you are pulling fuel through the evap system.I would disconnect and plug the hose from the evap system at the intake or throttle body and see what happens.

Visiting Guest

11-04-04, 07:57 AM   #5  
jeffw60
I pulled the hose off the fuel regulator and the RPM's picked up when I plugged it. I rev'ed it up and it seemed to work ok. I didn't leave it plugged, should I? Is it safe to run it this way?

11-04-04, 02:32 PM   #6  
I said the evap system not the pressure regulator.Since you had the pressure regulator hose off was there gas in the hose?If so the pressure regulator has failed.No you can't leave it that way.Follow the emission diagram under the hood to get to the evap hoses.Does your car just start flashing codes by itself without you doing anything?

Visiting Guest

11-05-04, 10:13 AM   #7  
jeffw60
No. no fuel in hose.
I went out to check the emissions diagram but its not there anymore. When I opened the hood I noticed oil all over the rightside of the engine. I found the dipstick out of the tube. I put it back in and started the engine. Excessive pressure in the crankcase. Lots of air when I took off the fill cap. I had replaced the pcv about three months ago, but I took it out and checked it. It rattled. I sucked on the end of it and it was opened then closed then open again. It kind of acts like it sticks. I don't know. I'm at a loss. Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be all related to the other problem?

Search this Thread