Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I have to replace radiator

FL

11-03-04, 12:51 PM   #1  
I have to replace radiator

(it sprang a leak).The car is 1990 cougar 3.8, auto. Do I need a sealant for the transmission lines? If yes, wich kind.
The second question is this: a little over a week ago I went campout and it rained alot.On the way back I had to drive thru big paddles on unpaved, bumpy road.Even before I got out on the 'good' road the 'check engine' light came on and it was on and off for another hour of driving home. Then it went off for good(BHW, it was then I discovered that AC pulley bearings were locking up, if anyone remembers). So, what do I need to do about the light? At the time I've figured something just got wet to make the light go on. Thank you all very much.
Irina

Last edited by Irina; 11-03-04 at 01:16 PM. Reason: extra question

Sponsored Links

11-03-04, 02:26 PM   #2  
I don't think you need a sealant.I wouldn't worry about the light unless it comes back on during normal use.You may have gotten something wet and it dried out.

FL

11-05-04, 09:40 AM   #3  
OK, replaced radiator,but now I have a leak

from underneath of an adaptor (between adaptor and radiator body, not the adaptor and tranny fitting). I've tightened it up as much as possible and it still leaks. Should I try sealant? What confuses me is the adaptors on old radiator were not too tight(and never leaked ),but there seems to be some sealant remnants, plus new adaptors were loose as well. Was it a mistake to tighten them? It took care of the leak from the upper adaptor. Wich sealant would you recommend,if any? Is teflon tape going to do the job?
Thank you all for your help.
Irina

Last edited by Irina; 11-05-04 at 02:10 PM.

11-05-04, 02:46 PM   #4  
If it's leaking from the threads use some teflon tape it won't hurt a thing.

FL

11-06-04, 07:58 PM   #5  
I wonder if it's a good idea to flush the sistem now?
Thank you for your help.
Irina

11-07-04, 04:43 AM   #6  
If you flush it now I would just run water through the hoses without being connected to the new radiator.Don't want to take a chance of putting debris in the new radiator.Is your leak fixed?

Search this Thread