Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Started as a hose leak.....HELP!!

SC

11-04-04, 12:04 PM   #1  
Started as a hose leak.....HELP!!

I have a 96 Ford Windstar (yeah I know - there's the problem!!) Anyway I had a problem with the temperature going to very hot. My husband found a leak in a hose and fixed it - temporarily - as good as he knew how. It lasted about a month and then my temperature went up again. He said it needed water, but after filling it noticed other color liquids leaking out underneath. He said don't drive it - have it towed to the garage.
Here is what they did - the parts were a water pump tube, intake tube, intake set and 4 discs (plus anti freeze and fuel filter) and they charged for labor to R&R intake (288.00) flush cooling system (54.88) clean throttle plate & 1AC(???) (35.00) install fuel filter and computer diagnostic.
They said they had to remove the front part of the engine because there was a tube (hose?) completely underneath that they couldn't get to and that is what cost so much.
Anyway, some 600$ later we picked up van. While backing out of parking lot I put van in reverse, put on brake and put it into drive and van kept going backwards. This shocked me and I figured I didn't shift correctly and did it again. I pulled out and the van stalled several times on the way home. After the next day of stalling every time I put on the brake or pause, (especially while trying to pull out into traffic - FUN) I called them.
I said the van is stalling constantly which it NEVER did before. They said they told us it needed another part - a Massed Air Filter sensor (I think that is right ) it says MAF sensor on the worksheet, and that is what the problem is. I said yeah, but it NEVER stalled before we brought it in to fix a leak.
The guy said we did have it towed there, so how do they know how it drove before? And that my husband said it was stalling before (which my husband never said) and they would fix it but it would be another $300.
Anyone who has any input I would greatly appreciate. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it all sound kosher or not? My husband also had his truck there before and said he also had a problem that wasn't there previously after he picked it up and they told him he needed another part, which he had to get as he needs the truck to work.
I have 4 children and one on the way and should not have to be driving a van that stalls in traffic constantly AFTER I got it "fixed". HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-04-04, 12:59 PM   #2  
Mass Air Flow sensor. Two things you might wnat to add, 1. Is this a 3.8L or 3.0L engine? 2. Did you ever have a check engine light? If you never had a check engine light I would be curious how they arrived at it needing a MAF sensor. Could have showed up on the diagnostic, but I would think you would have gotten a check engine light as well.

The pro's will be along for more indepth info.

SC

11-04-04, 01:38 PM   #3  
The engine is a 3.8. As for the check engine light - it has been on pretty much since we first got the van. We have been told by many people (mechanics or not) that these go on for no reason sometimes and stay on.(particularly with Ford Windstars) This particular mechanic told us this previously, and this time , now that you mention it, I remember him saying "that is probably why your light was on". It has been on before when we have had something checked on it and we were told it was on for no reason.

Group Moderator

FL

11-04-04, 01:45 PM   #4  
Going to try not to slap you around too much, but continual driving with the check engine light on is not a good thing. I would reject the notion that they sometimes come on for no reason at all. Yes, once they come on, on OBD-II vehicles, they will stay on until reset. Some of the conditions that make it come on are relatively harmless and you would never see any negative consequences. Others can have very detrimental effects not only performance wise, but in life-expectancy of the engine.

Might want to price the MAF sensor at a parts place like NAPA, CarQuest, etc, to see how much one goes for. Can also consider changing it yourself; the guys at the parts place can show you what it looks like and might even point it out to you on your vehicle.

SC

11-04-04, 01:59 PM   #5  
We did question the light - to several people - many times as I said. We had people tell us theirs was always on too. And as I said - even mechanics told us this!
My husband mentioned perhaps doing this himself and didn't know if it was something he could do or not. Thanks for the info.
Any input on the stalling suddenly?l

11-04-04, 03:02 PM   #6  
If it started stalling after they performed repairs they left something loose,damaged something,installed something wrong or it is coincidental.You have 3 options as I see it.#1 Call them and tell them if they put a MAF sensor on it and it still stalls you will not pay for the sensor and will take the car elsewhere to be diagnosed and have them pay for the repair if the other facility finds something they did to be in error.If you choose this option you need to know what a MAF sensor is so you can watch them change it and touch nothing else on the car.If it fixes the car they were honest about it.#2 call them and advise them you will be getting a second opinion to see if they are at fault and if they are you want your car fixed properly at no charge plus your money back for the additional diagnostic costs incurred.#3 tell them it wasn't that way before and have someone else fix it if they refuse to and take them to court for the additional costs incurred plus court costs.My opinion is if the check engine light has been on for awhile something ha sbeen wrong for awhile.1 more option take your car to Autozone and get the codes read for free and come back here with the numbers not just the descrition they gave you.Don't buy anything yet talk to us first.

SC

11-04-04, 04:17 PM   #7  
WOW! Nice answers! Now I know why they said the pros would be here soon! My question is - you said go to Autozone and have the codes read for free- what does this mean exactly? And to bring the numbers back here? Thanks so much for all the info.

11-04-04, 04:25 PM   #8  
Davo has given you some good advice on how to resolve the issue you have now but i have to jump all over that "check engine" light stuff. Do not listen to ANYONE that tells you that light is not important. Only people that can't figure out the problem tell people that. If a mechanic told you that, get a different mechanic. That light can mean any one of hundreds of things. Some are very important and some not so important, but it should NEVER be ignored.
One thing to add to the other discussion is that the shop is right about one thing, the car didn't run when they received it so they cannot know if the problem was there before and believe me, some customers (not saying you) will lie to blame a problem like that on a shop to get it repaired for free. We've all seen it happen. In your defense, we've also seen the shop be the one that did it also. If they had the intake off, that's very suspicous.

SC

11-04-04, 04:41 PM   #9  
to Desi501 - I agree - they could be using the whole towed in thing to get me and I really have no back up on that do I? Other than my family and my word?
I just wondered if you agree on everything else and posibilities that I should consider?
You said the intake was suspicious. Is this not a normal thing to check or mess with for a hose leak?
Thanks again.

Search this Thread