Desperately Seeking Someone with Neon Knowledge

Old 11-04-04, 04:36 PM
Mnuvsteel
Visiting Guest
Desperately Seeking Someone with Neon Knowledge

Hi Jason here. I got a fairly big problem. I am working on a 97 Plymouth Neon, 2 door, 2.0 SOHC 4 cylinder motor. I pulled this engine out to change the clutch and replace the timing belt at the same time. The clutch comes already assembled to pressure plate in a single little package. Kinda cool. So any way I'm trying to bolt it to the fly wheel and to do it you have to place a bolt rotate the crankshaft place a bolt rotate...etc. Well while I was rotating the crank to place the second bolt I'm pretty sure that crankshaft or the camshaft is getting caught or bumping something, because It stops and I try to turn it because I figure its just harder to turn because it is coming up on cvompression. So,duh, I take the sparkplugs backout and figure it'll turn So I gently give a little harder pushand it won't turn. All I could do was tighten the damper bolt a little more. So my question is do you suppose that I may have inadvertently turned the crankshft ir camshaft when I had the old timing belt off? I don't remember doing that but I had a friend helping me and I don't know every move that he may have made. But I already had the damper bolt torqued and while trying to turn the shaft, tightened it more so I am pretty sure I am hitting something (like valve stems.) So if I the crankshaft and camshaft are mis-alligned how do I go about alligning them again with out doing any internal damage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. J.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 04:48 PM
STOP. I hope you don't have the timing belt off while your trying to do this. If so, it's valves your banging into and you'll bend them if you force it. I don't understand why you have to rotate it anyway. You DO have the bell housing removed, right? Pressure plate bolts have to be installed all at the same time and tightened equally. First, you have to align everything with a pilot shaft. If that kit came with the disc somehow attached to the pressure plate it has to be unattached before proceeding.

Old 11-05-04, 10:35 AM
Mnuvsteel
Visiting Guest

Originally Posted by Desi501
STOP. I hope you don't have the timing belt off while your trying to do this. If so, it's valves your banging into and you'll bend them if you force it. I don't understand why you have to rotate it anyway. You DO have the bell housing removed, right? Pressure plate bolts have to be installed all at the same time and tightened equally. First, you have to align everything with a pilot shaft. If that kit came with the disc somehow attached to the pressure plate it has to be unattached before proceeding.

Yes the timing belt is on while I'm turning the crank. and yes I pretty sure its the valves -must be- the valves that are preventing the crank from being turned. But the clutch plate and pressure plate are rivited together from the factory. and yes I have the engine completely removed from the vehicle and separated from the transaxle. But the clutch isn't really what I am concerned with. What is really worrying me is that if I am turning the crankshaft and it is being stopped by the valves then that would indicate that the crankshaft and camshaft are mis-aligned. and what are the steps to realign them without damageing the valve train? Is it as simple as removeing the belt and rotating one shaft or the other backward (or forward) until the marks are alligned? Or is there another method?

Please help? J.

Old 11-05-04, 10:58 AM
Are the sparkplugs off? If not you'll feel some resistance when turning the crankshaft.

Did you replace or otherwise touch the timing belt before working on the clutch? Also, is the timing belt still in one piece? Perhaps it broke.

Old 11-06-04, 06:35 AM
Well, the first thing you need to do is tear down the front of the engine again and confirm the timing belt is installed properly. When you get all the covers off, just turn the crank counterclockwise to align the crank mark. (This shouldnt cause any damage since you were turning clockwise with no problem until it locked up. )

When the belt was initially installed, did you turn the crank over twice to confirm that the marks were still aligned?
Did you happen to take the cam pulley off at any point?

If the cam mark is way off, take all the spark plugs out, and with the belt off, turn the crank so that you see all the pistons about halfway down. (Of course, turn it the way that freewheels) Now you can turn the cam freely without worrying about hitting valves, and line up the cam mark. Now the crank mark should be a quarter turn to the right or left of where it is supposed to be with the pistons halfway down. Turn the crank towards the mark and you will not contact any valves. Set up your belt. Once the belt is on and before you install any covers, make sure you turn the crank two full revolutions to recheck your timing marks. (this also lets you know that it turns over without a problem.)

Also, check for any debris under the covers that might be getting caught between the belt and a pulley.

Old 11-08-04, 01:10 PM
Mnuvsteel
Visiting Guest
non free-wheeling engine

Did you happen to take the cam pulley off at any point?

If the cam mark is way off, take all the spark plugs out, and with the belt off, turn the crank so that you see all the pistons about halfway down. (Of course, turn it the way that freewheels) Now you can turn the cam freely without worrying about hitting valves, and line up the cam mark.

Hi firstly thankyou for your advice. Unfortunately the repair manual doesn't have a chapter titled "When you screw up." Regarding the cam pulley no I didn't ever take it off But one thing that I did do that I should not have is loosened the wrong bolt on the tensioner. I loosened the tensioner arm bolt by mistake and the book says not to tighten loosen or remove that bolt and doesn't offer any info for what needs to be done if it is loosened. And I went ahead and did what you said and determined that yes I was hitting the valves and now hitting them worse. And I read in my manual that I have, (after the fact) that "all neon models utilize interference-type, non-freewheeling engines. So I'm kinda screwed now (DAMN CHRYSLER TO HELL!!!!). So now what do I have to remove the head and take it to the machine shop?