Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

storing a car for a long time

Visiting Guest

11-05-04, 07:04 AM   #1  
the butchers wife
storing a car for a long time

Hello. I have a 1985 riviera and it has been sitting in my garage for a 4yrs. We live in Alberta Canada. We only drive it around town a few times a year .We keep forgetting to start it up and drive it around the block every month to keep everything lubricated. A clerk at Canadian Tire said that we should put in a fuel stabilizer in the tank then use one of their products called "engine storage spray" This engine spray says to remove each spark plug and spray it into each spark plug hole. What do you think about this idea? I want to preserve this car so I can drive it when my other car dies. Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-05-04, 09:14 AM   #2  
Engine storage spray is a new one on me. Normally you do the same routine, but use regular engine oil. A tablespoon or so in each plug hole and then turn the engine over a few times to distribute it and replace plugs.

You'll want to keep the gas tank full as well as having the stabilizer in it. You will eventually run into numerous problems from the semi-long term storage, such as rotting belts and hoses, rusted brakes, and leaks from dried out seals.

Not sure how much value a 20 year old Buick will have after very much storage.

Search this Thread