Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Buffing It Out

Dsherm112's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 160

11-05-04, 08:49 AM   #1  
Buffing It Out

I got some minor scrapes/scratches in a parking lot. The major part of it is a long black mark. I always hear the term "buff it out". What exactly does this refer to. Please explain the tools and techniques involved.



Sponsored Links
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,477

11-05-04, 09:07 AM   #2  
Normally involves the use of either polishing (fine) or rubbing (coarser) compound and a little elbow grease. Professionals use power buffing equipment. Look for the compounds in the auto section of your local stores with waxes, etc. Follow the directions on the container carefully; you need to ensure you don't rub/buff it too much so as to go through the clear-coat. Try a small scratch in an out of the way location to get the hang of it. If you have paint that has been transferred from another vehicle, try rubbing lightly with a little lacquer thinner on a rag first. Wash the area afterwards.

Search this Thread