Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I can hear my fuel injectors spraying

Visiting Guest

11-05-04, 12:14 PM   #1  
PJMorgan
I can hear my fuel injectors spraying

I have an 88 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6 cyl
I recently replaced ALL of the fuel injectors due to 4 leaking ones. I can actually hear the new injectors spraying where I could not hear the others..is this normal?

Sponsored Links

11-05-04, 12:25 PM   #2  
It's possible, I can hear the injectors "ticking" on almost all of my cars (but I don't own a Jeep).
Some are noiser then others, it's possible the new injectors have a new design.

Visiting Guest

11-05-04, 12:27 PM   #3  
PJMorgan
The design is different in that these are flat on the end where the others were more pointed. Thee is jut an obvious spraying sound while the engine is running but I have no fuel leaking and it is running like a dream so hey, whatever it takes!

Thanks!

11-05-04, 03:00 PM   #4  
No, your not hearing the spray of an injecter. That's just not possible. The most you'll hear if you put a listening device right against the injecter is the ticking of the pintle opening and closing. If your hearing any kind of hissing sound, you have a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner all around the manifold area and all the sealing surfaces including the injecter lower O-rings, listening for a change in the engine.

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 05:45 AM   #5  
PJMorgan
Thanks much for the info. I have not tried yet but think the culprit will be the O rings on the injectors. The original injectors had two differentshapes and color o rings. The replacement parts are nt this way, the upper and lower (engine side) O rings are the same. I bet that is where I am not getting a seal...at the engine.

Looks like I need to call the dealer to get the correct O Rings.

11-08-04, 05:43 PM   #6  
Yes, a bad O ring at the rail side would be a fuel leak but a bad ring at the engine side would be a vacuum leak.

Search this Thread