Smell gas fumes in passanger compartment!

Old 11-05-04, 11:35 PM
mrtee
Visiting Guest
Angry Smell gas fumes in passanger compartment!

I have a 1990 lincoln town car with 145,000 miles on it, the engine is a 5.0.
I smell gas when driving with the windows down, if I roll up the windows and turn the heater or the ac on then I don't smell it anymore! What sould I look
for I have checked under the hood and found no leaks at all sitting still !
Any help would be greatly welcomed !!
Thanks!
Mrtee

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-04, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
First off, I would stop driving it immediately. A possible gas leak is not a good thing to mess around with. Possbile leak sources: Fuel connections or rails at the engine, fuel lines to the tank, or the tank. You could also have a problem with your evap system which captures fumes from the gas tank,. stores them in the charcoal cannister, and then directs them to the engine for burning.

Question: When you gas up do you always stop at the first cutoff or do you squeeze some more in?

Old 11-06-04, 04:33 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
Tow_Guy - Since you mentioned in your post, can you explain the benefit or hazard of squeezing more fuel in after the first cutoff? I've always put more fuel in - sometimes quite a bit it seems. If what I'm doing is wrong, I'll stop immediately.

Chris

Old 11-06-04, 04:59 PM
The overfill from gassing up after the first cutoff will saturate the charcoal canister rendering it useless, causing poor performance and economy. The tank fumes will escape another way as unusable waste. Please be kind to your charcoal canister.

Old 11-06-04, 05:23 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
Great info. Assuming the charcoal canister is indeed saturated, can it be cleaned, or must it be replaced? I've never heard of any routine service for it.

Old 11-07-04, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by splashchris
Great info. Assuming the charcoal canister is indeed saturated, can it be cleaned, or must it be replaced? I've never heard of any routine service for it.
I always assumed the fumes would eventually be sucked into the intake and the charcoal would then be usable

I have had to replace ones that got super stinky or broken when fixing older cars, but these were pre-'76, not newer

So I guess I'm curious too, if a saturated charcoal canister be cleaned?

Old 11-07-04, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
In theory, I suppose, the cannister would eventually "air out". But if it's already saturated with raw fuel, additional fumes I think would tend to keep it in a less than optimal condition and it would never truly return to it's proper state. Nearly every time I gas up (normally once a day) somebody at an adjacent pump is squeezing in the gas until it's practically running out the filler. Bad for their car, good for my business.