Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing air springs with coil springs on '92 Grand Marquis

Visiting Guest

11-06-04, 09:17 AM   #1  
Aegis
Replacing air springs with coil springs on '92 Grand Marquis

I want to replace the air springs with coil springs in my '92 Grand Marquis. A Haynes repair manual says the standard coil springs, and the air springs found in some models (like mine) are mounted in the same way & have the same "seats". (I ordered the manual). Disregarding the complexities involved in removing springs & installing them, can it be as simple as pulling out the air springs & slapping in the coils, with no modifications or adjustments otherwise? Secondly, I want to get these coils from a junk/salvage yard. What make, model & year cars could I pull the proper coils off of? This so I can ask the junk yards if they have any of these cars.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-06-04, 09:58 AM   #2  
One of the pros will be along for better info, but as I recall it is not terribly difficult. I think you may need a special tool for compressing the spring slightly to get it in. If you call a junkyard I have a suspicion they will be able to give you the information on what will fit. Very likely you won't be the first customer with dead air-ride wanting to change to springs.

11-06-04, 04:34 PM   #3  
If your talking about the rear, it's a piece of cake. I wouldn't go to a junkyard though. Springs will fatigue at different rates over the years and new springs aren't very expensive at all any way.

Visiting Guest

11-07-04, 05:58 AM   #4  
Aegis
Yes, I'm referring to the rear...I revised my initial post to be as short & succint as possible...I think I revised to much.

Anyway, am I correct in assuming that replacing the rear air springs with standard coil springs is as simple as swapping them? Furthermore, does anyone know off hand which models have these springs or how I would go about discovering which ones do?

Regarding not getting them at a junkyard, I'll take it into consideration, but I really want to weigh all my options,

11-07-04, 04:50 PM   #5  
Replacement springs are sold on the aftermarket under a few different brands usually costing under $100. Simply order them for your particular vehicle that wouldn't be equipped with air ride. Moog makes some thing called "Cargo Coils" that have a variable spring rate to give a softer ride when not loaded and strengthen when loaded. Most Grand Marquis's are not equipped with air bags. That's a rare option. They can be changed in less than 30 minutes on a lift with the right tools.

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 03:47 AM   #6  
Aegis
This is good to hear. It should only take me about 3 hours with moderate cussing. (After locating the replacements.)

So...anyone have any pointers on a good places to start looking for some springs online? I'm a pro when it comes to finding computer parts online, but I've never looked for car parts.

Of course, keep in mind that I do in fact want the cheapest out there. This car only needs to get me to wherever I purchase my new one, which should only be a few months down the road. I definitely don't want to invest in new equipment for 3-4 months of use, especially since the cost will come out of my new car fund.

Last edited by Aegis; 11-08-04 at 03:58 AM.

Visiting Guest

11-10-04, 11:02 AM   #7  
Aegis
If anyone's curious, I ordered a set of rear springs from a place that would let me take them back if it didn't work out. It did...the new springs even came with a small sheet of instruction on how to disable the "Check Air Suspension" light. When the air springs deflated, the muffler got up close & personal with the road, and that required fixing too.

So, replacing the springs & muffler came out to a grand total of $107 & some skin off my knuckles. As a D-I-Y-er, I'm happy.

Search this Thread