Lights out on DashBoard

Old 11-07-04, 08:44 AM
naperlynch
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Lights out on DashBoard

I installed a radio in my 1992 Toyota Previa van. When I turned the headlights on, the dashboard lights went out. I checked the fuses and all of them are fine (I also had Toyota check them). I replaced the light bulbs that are in the back of the dash and he lights still don't work.

Any other options? Other than asking Toyota to look? They indicated it would be at least $300.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 11:51 AM
Did you hook anything up to the green wire in the vehicle harness?

Old 11-07-04, 12:01 PM
Also just looked a wiring diagram and found the white wire with a green stripe is the reostat control wire. The green is the power and the white w/green is the ground controlled by the reostat.

Hooking up to either one of those will cause problems with the dash lites.

Old 11-07-04, 01:37 PM
Also, try disconnecting the stereo wiring to see if the dash lights come back on. Does the stereo work?

Old 11-07-04, 03:00 PM
naperlynch
Visiting Guest
Lights Not working in DashBoard

THe stereo does work just fine. All speakers are working.

I disconnected the radio and the dash lights remain out.

I unhooked the wires to better see what colors go where. My instructions were to match same color wires. The SONY radio (CD Player-radio) came with labels on their wires.

Black is the ground and i connected that to a black wire in the Toyota. The Toyota black wire has 'ground' written on it.

I don't see a green wire with a white stripe. There is a solid green; a green with a black stripe. The latter wire says 'left rear' and the former doesn't have nay words on it, but I connected it to the SONY green solid wire which says left rear as well.

Old 11-07-04, 04:26 PM
Alright...

The black wire in the Toyota harness is the + for the left rear. Toyota wires don't have labels on them....aftermarket radios do

The ground wire in the Toyota harness is the white/black stripe....not the black.

Do you have something connected to the Toyota green wire?

Do you have tail lites?

Old 11-07-04, 04:36 PM
You may have a brown wire which would be the ground.

You cannot match colors for aftermarket radios. Every vehicle manufacturer uses there own color codes and there not the same.

What kind of radio was in there that you replaced. I'm I correct in assuming the dash lites worked before the radio swap?

Old 11-07-04, 05:19 PM
naperlynch
Visiting Guest
DashBoard Lights

I do have tail lights. The radio I replaced was the original from Toyota. It was a cassette / radio player. The after-market radio is a KOSS and it's wires have tags on them. The wires I THINK are from Toyota have writing on them - after your comments about colors, I can't be sure. All I do recall about the installation was the directions told me to match colors.

I don't have a brown wire anywhere. I have the 4 sets of wires from the radio in my lap. They are wires, on one end go into plastic connectors. On the other end, they are stripped, like regular electrical wiring. I assumed that half were from the after market product and the other half were Toyota's.

YOU ASKED:The ground wire in the Toyota harness is the white/black stripe....not the black. My answer is I have connected the after-market white w/ black stripe Front left speaker (-) to the Toyota white w/black stripe.

Do you have something connected to the Toyota green wire? YES - the fte market green wire, which is the rear left speaker (+).

This is fairly confusing. The radio and all the speakers work. The dashlites did work before I replaced the radio. When I turned on the headlights, I heard a 'relatively' loud pop.

Old 11-07-04, 06:10 PM
The front left (-) is the purple wire in the Toyota harness. Connect it to the radio white/ black stripe.

Take the Toy white/black stripe off and connect to the radio black.

The Toyota green gets nothing connected to it. You may have burnt out the reostat already by connecting it to the speaker.

The left rear (+) is the Toyota black wire which you should connect to the radio green wire.

If you PM me you e-mail address I could send you the Toyota wiring diagram.

When I turned on the headlights, I heard a 'relatively' loud pop.

Thats because you sending power to the speaker with the green wire. Most aftermarket radios don't use an illumination wire, they just have the lite go on with the radio day or night.