Looking for an impossible part. Please HELP!!

Old 11-07-04, 10:31 AM
NeedaVacay
Visiting Guest
Looking for an impossible part. Please HELP!!

I have a 1999 Mercury Villager with a busted driver side electric window switch controller. I'm looking for a new or used one. Where on earth do I get it without going directly to the dealer to pay 6 gazillion dollars? I've searched everywhere online to no avail.

Any clue??

Cheers!!

HPG

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you will be spending time calling auto salvage yards. May be a dealer only item elsewhere. Some places will get online to other salvage yards and get the part shipped for you. May cost a little more that way but still cheaper than dealer. Good luck.

www.car-part.com should have what your looking for. fill in the information using the drop down menus and your location.

Last edited by majakdragon; 11-07-04 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 11-07-04, 11:00 AM
controller

Have you looked at Ebay?

Old 11-07-04, 04:39 PM
Why on earth are you even looking anywhere but the dealer. There shouldn't be any question here. The dealer is the only one that sells it and a used one would be nothing but a risk without a warranty. How do you even know how much it would cost if you haven't priced it yet. You may be very surprised. Remember, you can go out and spend good money for a used one and still have to go to the dealer when it doesn't work.

Old 11-07-04, 07:07 PM
NeedaVacay
Visiting Guest
Majak:

Thanks for the link. I think I'll find what I need there.

Cabot:

Checked Ebay but part's not for sale. I'll keep checking.

Desi:

You bring up a good point. Over the years, though, I've been gouged by dealers so many times, I've lost faith in them. But I'll take your advice and check with them first.

Thanks, guys. I'll keep you posted.

HPG

Old 11-07-04, 07:24 PM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
Good wrecking yards will usually warranty for 120 days, and charge about 1/2 of the new dealer price.

Old 11-08-04, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by u2slow
Good wrecking yards will usually warranty for 120 days, and charge about 1/2 of the new dealer price.
Not usually on electrical parts, besides who'd want it after it sat out in the car for a year with all the windows missing before you got it. Some things are just better new.

Old 11-09-04, 05:15 AM
*chuckles*

...there's a reason why they call em..."junk yards"

Old 11-09-04, 05:46 AM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
You xxxxxxxxxxxxxx types crack me up

A modern autoparts recycling operation constitutes a warehousing facility; paved yards and covered storage.

I don't shop at junkyards, nor do I buy recycled parts without warranty.

I object to buying severely overpriced new parts.

... there's a reason why they call em... "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

Last edited by davo; 11-11-04 at 04:16 PM. Reason: To match the editing on the lower post
Old 11-09-04, 06:17 AM
uh, huh...

...and given the years of experience and the many times we've been burned by junk yards, salvage yards, auto parts recyclers or whatever you want to call them...you just can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

of course we use used parts occasionally...but not without calculated risk. the bottom line is that someone asked for advice and got the best you can get...use new parts and take the lowest risk possible and get the best quality part.

if you wanna have a dance...you gotta pay the band!

Old 11-09-04, 12:22 PM
You "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " types crack me up.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forum Monitors Note:
This post has been edited.
Remarks and comments stated have been removed.
Deleted comments and or remarks above where non benefical to the thread, provided no additional helpful advice, suggestion(s) and/or information, where uncalled for, out of line and highly unprofessional.

All of such comments and or remarks are in violation to the DIY rules of proper conduct, civil behavior and protocal. Any and or all of such can be a cause for loss of posting privledges on this web site.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-11-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:47 PM
Desi, I have nothing against Mechanics, in fact I admire them. But Dealerships, thats a whole nother story. I have friends that are mechanics for dealerships and they don't get no where near that $35 to $50 an hour I would have to pay. Yeah, overhead counts but on a 15 year old vehicle I am not going to pay 10% of the price the vehicle is worth to fix it. One last thing about Dealerships. How come they are ALWAYS overstocked? Are they not smart enough to have an idea how many cars they can sell a month or do they just think I am not smart enough to know their "sale" is just a front to get me in there?

Old 11-09-04, 01:03 PM
don't go there...

...sales and service are two VERY different things. you make it sound as if dealer techs and sales people are cut from thr same cloth. the fact of the matter is that you have choices of where you get your service or purchase your parts...but obviously no little about fixed operations in a car dealership. the service dept pays ALL the bills because they cost so much to run (who uses the most heat and lights...how about liability insurance?? the sales dept?...i think not)...a necessary evil i'm afraid...just don't make all of that are or were dealer techs out to be ripoff artists....it's offensive

Old 11-09-04, 01:41 PM
Carguyinva,
No offense was meant to ANYONE who WORKS at a dealership. My point was that I would not buy a part from a dealership because it is always more expensive than a parts store. I also won't put more into a part than is feasable. NeedaVacay's original post stated exactly the way I feel. It's not a matter of "being cheap" as a later post suggested. It's a matter of common sense. If I were him and couldn't buy the part used, I guess I would just leave the window up. All the working people are in the same predicament. Do you think us Plumbers get the same rate as you get charged for work done? Thats why they are here on DIY. It's all a matter of money. I truly apologize if I made it seem a personal matter or offended anyone.

Old 11-09-04, 03:10 PM
This post has left the original intent and anymore conversation on it would be an argument rather than an answer to NeedaVacay's post. If anyone wishes to continue this line of conversation there is the Chats and Whines Forum. Sorry, I can't make it because I have members questions to attend to. The reason I am here anyways.

Old 11-09-04, 03:45 PM
Dealership parts are not always more money,a Subaru clutch and pressure plate come to mind.Dealerships however are sometimes the only part source for new warranted reliable parts.Parts are updated many times due to pattern failure rates,aftermarket parts sometimes are not.A used window switch is a gamble at best in my opinion.If after the 120 warranty it goes bad the second one purchased more than covers the initial percieved savings at the dealership price.The reason dealerships are overstocked is because the union auto workers keep making cars and they get shipped to you based on previous years sales volume plus an expected sales increase in most cases.Unless you would risk the chance of having the amount of cars you can have reduced and that would mean bad things in a good sales year.Dealer trades are on example when sales are high you have to give a vehicle to get one in return if a deal can be negotiated at all.When sales are slow if you want a vehicle you can have it but the dealer will not take another in trade.Way more money for sales is made off of auction cars not new cars.The other thing about dealerships is the sales,service,body and recon departments must pay each other for services so when I fix a car if I break something the service department buys the part from the parts department.If a new car is sold the sales department pays the service dept and the detail guys to get the car ready.It's a big web and I'm sure it's for tax reasons but the overhead is steep and with government(epa/osha)it will get worse.I know of an national company(won't mention names)that will purchase a dealer part for perhaps $100 and resale at $250 they call it 2.5 ing.So the dealership could save money in some cases.One last note as I'm running out of typing breath is the tone of this thread is going the wrong way and if it continues we all know what will happen.