heres one i haven't seen before

Old 11-07-04, 09:48 PM
heres one i haven't seen before

i just tried changing my oil for the thousandth time and when i got done the oil was on the floor.about 2-3qts. i guess i must have tightened the filter too much and it ran right back out .when i got down there and took the new filter loose i noticed the gasket from the car side had come off. the gasket from around where the filter screws on. what do i do now .i've never heard of that ever happening before. do i put glue on one side and put it back on or what.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 10:47 PM
The gasket from the car side?
There should only be one gasket, and that will be the one on the filter. If you have two gaskets, it will surely leak.

Old 11-07-04, 11:15 PM
leaky filter

you are saying there must have been two gaskets on the filter. i sure didnt see two. i always turn filters snug then three quarters turn more. the trouble was i had a socket and a metal device with a socket fitting in the top and it was about wore out and i couldnt tell how tight it was.

Old 11-08-04, 04:08 AM
Did you check the old oil filter to see if the gasket came off of it?

Old 11-08-04, 04:25 AM
Yes, make sure that the old filter gasket didn't "stay" on the engine
Meaning when you put the new filter on you have 2 gaskets and a leak
This happens sometimes
More often than a new filter losing it's gasket
If you check and find it's the new filter and it's gasket has fallen off, bring it back for a exchange/refund under warranty
I wouldn't glue up a defective new product
If you don't do it right it could lead to engine failure
I'd also consider changing brands of filters

Old 11-08-04, 08:01 AM
loss of oil

i have no clue where this seal came from but it fell out from the oil filter area when i took the new filter off and the new filter looks fine.i even have another new filter ,same thing and it looks the same, i never ever remember of taking a filter off without having a seal on it either. i just put the new one on again and will try again with a snug plus three quarter turn. i must not be living right. my house phone went caput too. just call me tim i guess

Old 11-08-04, 09:44 AM
finally off of ramps

thanks everone for all the advice and help,have a good holiday season.

Old 11-08-04, 05:40 PM
You had the old "double gasket" syndrome. it is quite common to the "non-veterans". It happens when the gasket from the old filter gets stuck to the engine and stays there when the filter is removed. The new filter has its own gasket and when it is threaded on the gaskets do not match perfectly and although the filter feels tight, there are big gaps in the seal.

Old 11-08-04, 06:11 PM
Wink talk about having syndrones

im,having tim taylor syndrone this week for sure.everthing i touch is turning to ------ im changed all my own oil and have never had that happen. i also am a veteran of vietnam. anyway have a good bunch of holidays and thanks and god bless.

Old 11-09-04, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Roeboat109
im,having tim taylor syndrone this week for sure.everthing i touch is turning to ------ im changed all my own oil and have never had that happen. i also am a veteran of vietnam. anyway have a good bunch of holidays and thanks and god bless.
From now on, you'll watch for that problem. That makes you a "veteran" oil changer now..........lol