Worry?

Old 11-08-04, 05:52 AM
Worry?

Car is a 2003 Toyota matrix 1.8L base model 35k miles dealer maintained.
Last night I started car to go to work.as soon as I started it for about 2 seconds I heard a heck of a noise like a dry valve train like a real loud clatter.It only lasted 2 seconds and this morning it was ok again.Oil and filter are changed by Toyota every 3K and Toyota filters are used.
The car sat all weekend do you think the antidrain valvemight have stuck open?Oil level is ok.Should I worry about it or maybe it is a one time deal.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't lose sleep at this point.The toyotaman should be able to answer in better detail when he sees the thread.

Old 11-09-04, 05:25 PM
I agree with Davo,

Oil galleys may have drained back from sitting.

Make sure they are using the correct weight of oil and the correct filter.

Just cause the dealer serviced it dosen't mean it's correct. I seen may new aspiring techs grab the wrong filter (there the ones who usually do the oil changes). I even think there was a time we were using 10w-30 when some cars called for 5w-30.

The lighter oil is better for preventing "dry starts".

Old 11-09-04, 07:01 PM
Thanks

Thanks Toyotaman (Larry) It only happened one time and I have to get my oil changed this week anyway.I will tell the service advisor what happend and to tell the guy changing the oil to make sure he puts the right oil and filter in.
It sure did scare me all that valvetrain noise

Old 11-10-04, 02:40 AM
I don't want to scare you but that wasn't valve train noise. The noise you heard was the rod bearings.

Don't worry it's usually harmess, there has been some engines that "dry start" was common and it never affected their longevity.

BTW: Could be the filter if it due to be changed soon (drainback valve sticking)