S10 problems

Old 11-08-04, 10:46 AM
eric-clark
Visiting Guest
S10 problems

My 87 S10 2.8 fuel injected v6. I was driving down the road one day and it just died. No sputtering or anything just died. When I tried to start it, it still had a charge but it just would not fire. I believe it is the fuel pump but im just guessing. I do not hear any "humming" from the fuel pump. Also another prob is when i deaccelerate something is clanking like my transmission is not downshifting. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-04, 10:53 AM
Blazing
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by eric-clark
My 87 S10 2.8 fuel injected v6. I was driving down the road one day and it just died. No sputtering or anything just died. When I tried to start it, it still had a charge but it just would not fire. I believe it is the fuel pump but im just guessing. I do not hear any "humming" from the fuel pump. Also another prob is when i deaccelerate something is clanking like my transmission is not downshifting. Please help!
Turn your key forward so there is power and go underneath and hit the fuel pump with a hammer and if it kicks in then you might just have a loose wire.

As for the clanking, what do you mean by clanking, is it a high pitched metal noise or more like a grinding? or what?

Old 11-08-04, 10:03 PM
eric-clark
Visiting Guest
the clanking is more like a grinding it sounds horrible

Old 11-09-04, 04:24 AM
that won't work...

...because you only have voltage at the pump for 2-3 seconds after you turn on the key...not to mention that hitting the tank with a hammer is just plain goesh. if you have a loose connection in the tank, you'd still have to remove the tank to access the problem and likely the terminal on the pump will be burnt so you'd still need a pump. disconnect the connector going to the tank and probe the gray wire with a test light. have someone turn the key to "run" and you should get a light for 2-3 seconds. then have them try to start the engine...the light should again light during cranking. if this is the case...you need a fuel pump. if it doesn't light at all during either test, you'll need a copy of "cranks, but won't start" from the service manual. probably has it a haynes manual...or you may be able to photocopy it at your local library...or purchase an alldata disc at autozone for that year, make and model. follow the diagnostic chart explicitly skipping NO steps...and it will lead you to the cause of your problem...in fact...the first thing it will do is it will help you confirm that it's either a fuel OR an ignition problem.

ps...did you, by any chance, check the fuses???

PSS...clanking or grinding?? grinding on decel sounds like a bearing...possibly output shaft of the trans or transfer case...or a pinion bearing in the diff...i think you may need the opinion of a good driveline tech because noises can be difficult to track down