Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need help with a 1988 ford bronco2

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 08:15 PM   #1  
coondog36313

hello everyone i am new here. i have a 2 wheel drive ford bronco 2 2..9 v-6 with 120,000 miles.two days ago it started acting like it had something clogging up the fuel injector. after driving it for about 15 minutes it will start acting like it is starving for fuel. it will spit and sputter at this time. heavy smoke will come out the exhaust. then it will drive fine again.i have changed the oxygen sensor on it and it did not help. a friend told me to try that so i did. it didn't help it at all.i still go about fifteen minutes or sometimes thirty minutes before this will happen. before then it runs perfect. can anyone tell me anything about this problem? i have never had a problem with it until then. i have also put new spark plugs and wires on it about amonth or 2500 miles ago. i have also put on a new fuel filter. any hepl would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

11-09-04, 04:59 PM   #2  
I would suspect the intake air temp sensor is failing it was very common on older Ford vehicles and will make black smoke really bad.You have checked the air filter hopefully.If the smoke is white the cylinder heads are most likely cracked also very common on those trucks.

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 08:41 PM   #3  
coondog36313

thanks davo. get a new air temp sensor. yes it is black smoke and only does it when the engine acts up. this only happens when i have been driving for about ten minutes or so. yes everything else is in a-1 order. have the oil changed every three thousand miles and i always change the air cleaner and pvc valve whether it needs it or not. would this sensor cause the black smoke and engine to seem be missing? like i said this only happens around evry ten minutes or so of normal 55 mile driving. it does not happen until everything gets warmed up. thank you davo i will try this!!!

Search this Thread