Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help overriding security system on '93 Cadillac Deville

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 11:02 AM   #1  
catchavez2003b
Need help overriding security system on '93 Cadillac Deville

Does anyone know a cheap, easy way to override the Security System on a 1993 Cadillac Deville? My husbands car won't start, and we know it's not the battery or alternator, but the security light is flashing. He already changed the batteries in the remote to unlock the doors and trunk. Please Help.

Sponsored Links

11-09-04, 12:11 PM   #2  
If it was easy to over ride, we wouldn't be able to call it security now, would we. No, it's not easy.

VA

11-09-04, 12:40 PM   #3  
this is true...

...nop they aren't easy to circumvent and using the appropriate diagnostics will take theft deterrent into consideration. you could try clearing the codes...

turn the key on...simultaneously press the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel and hold them until all the lights light up. this will put it into diagnostics...note and record any and all codes. next it will say "ECM?" you press the "lo" button and it will then advance to "BCM?" and you press the "hi" button...then press "lo" again until you see "BCM clear codes" and then press "hi"...if you've done it correctly, it should then say "BCM codes cleared"...then press off or turn the key off to exit diagnostics

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 02:05 PM   #4  
catchavez2003b
Reply to carguyinva from catchavez2003b

Thanks, carguyinva:

If we follow all of these steps, will the car turn on?

11-09-04, 02:33 PM   #5  
i think your best bet would be to bring it in to a shop and have someone look at it if your keyless enttry system is working corectly than the car should run when you turn the ke dose the engine crank???

11-09-04, 02:46 PM   #6  
Posted By: catchavez2003b Thanks, carguyinva:

If we follow all of these steps, will the car turn on?
NO, but go ahead. It will be a good learning experience.

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 05:46 PM   #7  
catchavez2003b
To carguyinva

We tried turning on the key and pressing the off and warmer buttons simultaneously, and all the lights turned on,but no codes came up, so that's as for as we got. Do you think it could be a fuse? Appreciate your help. the engine will not crank. All the lights and everything running off the battery is working, though.

Last edited by catchavez2003b; 11-09-04 at 06:05 PM.

11-10-04, 04:54 AM   #8  
it likely has a broken wire at the key and tumbler causing the security system to think the car is not being started with the correct key, if you do a internet search for bypassing gm security system you will likely find several sites that go into detail but it is not that easily done unless you are familiar with the system.
would suggest seeing a shop and having it repaired correctly.

11-10-04, 05:54 AM   #9  
the first thing i would do is check if you are getting power to the starter on both main wire and crank wire check the easy stuff first not somthing you have to have a high skill level to diagnose
remember to alwess use the KISS Theroy ( Keep It Simple Stupid )
this means to start with the easy stuff like fuses battery conection checking for power and grounds ect... after all elis proves to be in operating order you than proceed to more complicated areas but be carefull i have many people bring vehicles to my shop ware thay caused more damage by the lack of knoladge than the repair would have cost in the first place a simple things like the wrong type of test lamp or not being grounded yourself could fry a computer in seconds

Visiting Guest

11-10-04, 05:45 PM   #10  
catchavez2003b
Thanks to everyone

Thanks to everyone for all your help. My husband's car is now running. The ignition switch was shorting out the starter and messing with the security. It cost us $353.00, but at least now it's fixed. Thanks again.

Search this Thread