CV Boot/Axle

Old 11-09-04, 03:29 PM
CV Boot/Axle

98 Nissan Altima, 5 speed 115,000, no ABS. Last week, teamed with experienced mechanic, (helpful neighbor), and replaced passenger CV axle with rebuilt. Great success. Runs great!

But...the driver's side boot is cracked and mechanic neighbor is unavailable, (he works a strange schedule and is often difficult to find for weeks at a time). He told me that it is possible to replace the boot assembly instead of the entire axle. There are no symptoms of the driver's side (passenger side was clicking and groaning).

Q's: Is it a good idea to replace just the boot? Can the boot be replaced without taking the front end apart as we did for the passenger side? Wht do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

allenzachary
Slightly (more) experienced

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 03:53 PM
I suggest at that mileage you replace the shaft unless you would like to pay twice to repair that axle shaft.

Old 11-09-04, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by allenzachary
Q's: Is it a good idea to replace just the boot? Can the boot be replaced without taking the front end apart as we did for the passenger side? Wht do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

allenzachary
Slightly (more) experienced
Yes, you can replace only the boot but not only would you have to remove the axle like you did before but now your going to have to dissassemble it to replace the boot. The cost difference is very minimal. It's just not worth trying. Replace the whole axle.

Old 11-10-04, 12:26 PM
CV Boot

I had a similar issue with a 96 maxima. I was looking for a split boot, one that you could just bolt two halfs together. They are not made any longer. You have to remove the CV to replace the boot. The CV joint is not much more than the boot. morale of story, replace the CV joint.

It is not that hard

Good Luck
DJ

Old 11-10-04, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by djengr
I was looking for a split boot, one that you could just bolt two halfs together. They are not made any longer.
Those are the worst idea ever made. Not reliable at all.