95 Lumina Code Help Please

Old 11-10-04, 09:04 PM
95 Lumina Code Help Please

1995 Lumina 3.1 v-6 automatic over 100,000 miles
Check Engine light came on a while back.
Codes were:
1. History code 46 Passkey II problem
2. History Code 77 EGR solenoid #3 malfunction.

I disconnected the battery to get the check engine light off and see if the codes came back.

The light stayed off for some time.
The check engine light has come back on though.
Codes now are:
1. History code 28 transmission range switch problem.
2. History code 77 EGR solenoid # 3 malfunction.

Car runs fine. What should I do next to try to determine what is wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-04, 04:00 AM
start by fixing the egr code as the other codes may not even cause a check engine light to come on and the fact the egr code has been stored both times.
could be a bad egr valve, restricted intake passage, ecm or wiring problem.
the egr has 4 wires one is key on power usually pink and one wire for each solenoid which is grounded by the ecm you can manually ground each solenoid to see if the solenoids is working by using jumper wires an audible click should be heard when each solenoid is grounded you might also note if you notice any change in engine running at idle when each solenoid is grounded.

Old 11-11-04, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply bejay. I am familiar with the older vacuum operated EGRs but not the solenoid operated ones. Where should I look for it? I assume it will be at or near the intake manifold.

If a solenoid clicks when grounded and the engine slows down or runs rough is it safe to assume it is working and the passage is open?

Do they all share the same passage and can it be cleaned by removing the EGR valve? If not how involved is it to clean the passage? If they share the same passage and the passage were plugged wouldn't I get a code for the other solenoids?

If I find #3 not working are the individual solenoids replaceable or do you have to replace the whole assembly?

Old 11-11-04, 03:09 PM
I have not had time to test it yet but I did find the EGR valve & solenoids.

I called and priced an EGR valve---$250.00 So we are hoping it is just a plugged passage. This is a friends car. He asked if he does not fix it what will happen? I assume it will just have an effect on emissions. He wants to know if it will damage anything else if it is not fixed.

Old 11-12-04, 03:02 AM
if you find a solenoid that isn't working you replace the whole egr valve as you cant just replace one of the solenoids.
the egr uses the same egr passageway in the intake but each solenoid has a different sized opening so you will not notice an equal difference in the way the engine idles when testing, the solenoid with the largest opening will have the most affect on the engine running. if all solenoids are clicking when grounded then you should check the passage to make sure it is clear, the passage exits into the intake just behind the throttle plate wich is usually were it is partially blocked with carbon and may be partially visible with the throttle held wide open and looking in the intake with a light.
it will affect emmisions and sometimes may cause detonation problems wich could affect the engine life.

Search this Thread