2000 windstar shifts to drive but will not go???

Old 11-11-04, 02:43 AM
Brownthree
Visiting Guest
2000 windstar shifts to drive but will not go???

Help...I have a 2000 Ford Windstar with 51,000 miles. Went to go to work this morning and I pulled it out of the driveway. Shifted it into drive and it made a loud sound and would not drive. It will reverse, but will not go forward in any other gear. Please humor me and tell me this does not mean a new transmission.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-04, 03:07 AM
that doesn't sound very good, suggest towing to a transmission shop for a better diagnosis but I would suspect something in the transmission broke when you heard the noise.

Old 11-11-04, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
And when trannies go bad, they frequently retain reverse. Hold on to your pocketbook.

Old 11-12-04, 04:14 AM
Not good

I had that happen to me and it was a tranmission pump I had reverse but no drive gears .All you can do is a inspection of everything like fluid, linkage and stuff on the outside related to the transmission.The good part on mine was it was covered under warrantey

Old 11-12-04, 02:33 PM
If something broke in the trans it will need overhauled.Have it checked though you may get lucky.Keep us informed of your progress please.

Old 11-13-04, 10:48 AM
Brownthree
Visiting Guest
Angry

Bad news the transmission needs to be replaced. The bad news came from the dealership and a separate tranny shop. Some gear just broke. I am just livid as I bought this minivan 4 -1/2 years ago new and it has never towed anything but me and my two kids. It is ridiculous to have to replace a transmission at 51,000 miles. Ford motor company will be getting a long nasty letter from me and I will never buy another Found on road dead product.

Old 11-14-04, 08:21 AM
Sorry

Sorry to hear that the transmision needs replacment after such few miles.It is not only Ford but I think most domestic car manafactures that make there cars to break down so soon.
I had a 89 Chevy pickup that the transmission only lasted 11 thousand miles and it was a Turbo 400 made for heavy duty use.
I dont know why maybe they go to the lowest bidder when they buy there components but in the end it is us the consumer that gets the short end of the stick.

Old 11-14-04, 10:44 AM
The actual facts are some domestic vehicles use foreign transmissions/engines and some foreign vehicles use domestic engines/transmissions so the statement is kind of weak at best.

Old 11-15-04, 07:07 AM
Not a isolated case

Seems Ford has had lots of problems with there Transmissions in the windstar and Taurushttp://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=6068&wrapper=