window slips out of track

Old 11-11-04, 10:24 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest

I've got a 95 T-Bird, electric windows. I've tried a few dofferent adhesives to secure the window in the two plastic tracks, but nothing seems to hold. The window is curved so the track has a little play in it. I've tried silicone, super glue, rear view mirror glue. I can't pass my state inspection until I fix the problem (driver side) Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-04, 07:04 PM
I had to do this on my 89 bird. If the plastic clips that hold the window are intact forget adhesive. Remove the window, clean all adhesive off of the glass.
Put the glass back in the door, hold it up with a wooden shim between the glass and weather strip. Cut and clean two 2"x2" squares of rubber from a bicycle inner tube and lay them centered across the tabs that hold the glass to the window regulator. Lower the glass until it is resting on the rubber squares, barely pushing the rubber into the tabs. Attach the window control switch and raise the window all the way up, lower it to make sure it holds, replace door panel.

It is hard to find an adhesive to stick to glass and plastic. I spoke to a glass shop that told me the glue they use rarely holds and they have to order new glass with the plastic brackets attached at the factory.

The rubber will hold the glass in place in lieu of glue.

Old 11-12-04, 06:21 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest
Thankyou for sharing your experience. I'll give it a shot.
Jo

Old 11-16-04, 10:29 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest

Dan...wanted to touch base with you and our readers. The rubber patch worked like a charm. Thankyou for your insight.
Jo