Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 GMC sonoma pick-up ,4x4,stuck in 4th

Visiting Guest

11-11-04, 11:24 PM   #1  
larrylindstrand
1992 GMC sonoma pick-up ,4x4,stuck in 4th

Bought 3 weeks ago,was driving great until tonight. Driving 60+ on freeway,heard a high pitched humming sound,I tried to put into 5th gear...no-go.I had not had this noise before.Continued to destination in 4th. I am only able to use 4-low and 4-high on the fly. What happened? I appreciate all opinions and advice.6 cilinder,5 speed, 4x4.

Sponsored Links

11-12-04, 03:01 PM   #2  
I would think the trans needs repaired or replaced if you can't rebuild it yourself.Used trans for those should be cheap.The 2wd works doesn't it?

11-12-04, 04:23 PM   #3  
4x4 problem

If I see this correct, you are stuck in 4 wheel drive? If so, I will assume you have the push button 4WD system, if not, just ignore this. Try pulling the TCCM fuze (5A) for 3 min. That should reset your TCCM and allow you to shift back int 2WD. If you have the shift (on the floor) 4WD, take a look at your vac system under the battery, these have a tendency to fail, in fact, look at this no matter what type of 4WD you have.

Search this Thread