Engine Heaters

Old 11-12-04, 01:03 AM
NO1MKC
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Engine Heaters

Do any of you guys or girls out there know anything about those stick on electrical engine heaters. The add says they heat the oil, are they thermostatically controlled. And what about the water sitting in the engine and radiator that is cold, when it start pumping it through wont the engine be cold as well. I need to get something on my truck to keep it warm during the winter months up here in AK. Anybody got any ideas or comments about block heaters in general whether they be oil, air or water.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-04, 02:57 PM
Where you live it wouldn't hurt to have the oil heater and the one that heats the coolant through a heater hose connection.Saves wear and tear on the engine and will have you closer to operating temp faster.If you can even get there with that weather.Out of curiousity what are typical temps up there?

Old 11-12-04, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
NO1MKC,

The weather we get here is very similar to yours.

Those stick on heaters will work in a pinch.
They will heat the oil to be viscous enough to turn over but the top end will be cold and clatter when your down to -25 deg F and colder.
Block heaters that install in the frost plug opening are the simplest, most reliable and next to the inline heaters will do the best job of warming your engine.
I personally don't care for inline heaters because when you cut your lower rad hose or heater hose to install one it leaves one more potential leak.

For added protection folks around here will install two block heaters and on those occasional -40 deg F days that we get, and I'm sure you do as well, will plug in the second heater.
This, along with the lowest viscosity oil recommended by your mfr, and a newer high cranking amp battery will ensure trouble free starts.

If you're running a diesel, that's a different story.
They need every bit of help they can get.