puzzling problem

Old 11-12-04, 04:40 PM
quackupp
Visiting Guest
puzzling problem

I have a 93 buick century wagon that is in great condition. Never had any problems other than tuneups, oil change, alternator replace, and other small issues. It had been running fine until today. When my wife turned it off last night it was after idling for about 10 minutes. She said it was running fine when she turned it off. When I tried to start it today, it would not start. It would crank; battery is in fine shape, but it was like it wasn't getting gas. First time this has ever happened and i am at a loss at where to look. We did have about 3 inches of rain in north carolina today, but everything under the hood looks dry. I am stumped...any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-04, 05:48 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
If your vehicle was equipped with an HEI (high energy ignition) system, the ignition control module could have gone bad. The symptoms are as you describe - cranking, but no start - and can occur out of nowhere. One minute the vehicle is running great; the next day, no start.

The ignition control module is located inside the distributor cap, beneath the centrifugal advance (metal plates with springs attached). Back in the day, I recall testing these with a digital volt/ohm meter; however, the current documentation I just read indicates the module requires special equipment to test.

Perhaps Davo can shed some light on a way to test the module when reads your post.

Chris

Old 11-12-04, 09:11 PM
non starting buick

Do you hear the fuel pump buzz? Does it have a 3.3? If so, put a timing lite on it, see if you have spark. If not, ecm or crank position sensor.

Search this Thread