Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

radiator caps

MA

11-12-04, 05:57 PM   #1  
radiator caps

Was reading a post here on anti-freeze and commnts on radiator caps. Checked for radiator caps on my 98' taurus and 04' gmc, Is it me,or what?
neither had a cap on top of the radiator as i thought their would be.
Just the caps on the oveflow tanks.

Sponsored Links

11-12-04, 06:48 PM   #2  
It used to be that all vehicles had a pressure cap on the radiator.

Many vehicles now have the pressure cap on the coolant tank and have no cap on the radiator. These will have a warning about removing the cap when hot. You can get burned just like taking a radiator cap off of a hot vehicle.

If you have a radiator cap then the cap on the coolant tank is just a plain cap not a pressure cap.

MA

11-13-04, 08:20 AM   #3  
Thanks. Iv'e been around cars all my life and now that i'm older and can't do all the stuff i did when i younger,i was basically embaressed for not being able to find a simple thing like a radiator,especially, two different auto makes.
Brings up another question though,how does one change anti-freeze now?? Does'nt seem like ya can get a garden hose in the radiator itself to flush it out,or put in new anti-freeze.

11-13-04, 08:43 PM   #4  
You are not supposed to let anti freeze go on the ground or down the street. Unless the system is clogged just drain and re fill with 50% anti freeze & 50& distilled water. Many cars now are difficult or impossible to get to the block drain plugs so the do it your selfer has to settle for drainingthe radiator and re filling. Measure how much comes out and check the capacity in the owners manual and you will know what % of the capacity you have changed. For example if you can drain 50% of the total capacity then change it twice as often.

Make sure you put back almost the same amount you drain out. If not you have an air pocket that must be removed or you risk overheating the engine. Some cars have bleed screws at the high point to get the air out. On other cars you can take the highest hose loose to help get the air out. Watch the temp. gage like a hawk after refilling. If it starts to get hotter than normal shut it off let it cool completly. Then see if you can add coolant if not you still have an air pocket to get rid of.

Catch what you drain and dispose properly. Call the sanitary sewer dept. and ask if they allow anti freeze in the sanitary sewer, Some do.

Better yet read the dex cool thread now running here. The same testing procedures go for regular anti freeze to keep the system in good shape.

MA

11-14-04, 07:38 AM   #5  
I don't do my vehicles anymore for the reasons you stated. Got to protect the enviorment and its too much of hassel, I have mine done by a repair shop where the can power flush,dispose of properly and such. Thats how i
asked the question of not having the radiator caps where i expected them.
Thanks again

Search this Thread