Toyota automatic transmission problem

Old 11-12-04, 08:48 PM
radalwadi
Visiting Guest
Toyota automatic transmission problem

Hi,

I've 1993 Toyota Camry (4 cy). Past 2-3 days I 've been experiencing problems backing out the car. I have to give more gas to 'reverse' the car. Finally the car stopped and now I no longer drive the car in 'reverse'. The mechanic told me that transmission is burnt out (the transmission fluid was dark brown instead of red and was smelling burnt).

My request for help is - Is transmission repairable? I was told that I'd have to replace the transmission and would cost around $2000. Is this how much normally a transmission cost?

Is it worth getting this repair done at dealer?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards....Rajesh.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 04:15 AM
Group Moderator
Skip the dealer; you'll pay a premium price. Find a good independent tranny specialty shop. My guess would be you'll probably be looking at $1500-2000, which may be pretty close to what the car is worth. How many miles are on it?

Old 11-15-04, 08:39 AM
radalwadi
Visiting Guest
Toyota Automatic Transmission problem...

Thanks for your prompt response.

The car runs great. It has 107k miles on it. Still long way to go

Regards....Rajesh.

Old 11-15-04, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Shop around, but don't necessarily jump on the lowest price. Ask friends or co-workers if they have any positive feedback (or negative) on any tranny shops. Stick with a shop that actually does the transmission work and not someone who just does the R&R and then sends it elsewhere for the bench work. You might also call a couple of your local INDEPENDENT towing companies (meaning NOT owned by/affiliated with a particular garage or motor club, i.e. AAA) and ask for recommendations. You'll likely get a recommendation for a shop that company tows for regularly, but it should be a good garage. Tow Guys like to take care of the people they do business with on a regular basis, but their own reputation is also on the line if they refer you to someone.

Old 11-15-04, 06:38 PM
I agree with tow guy. A shop with good references if definitley worth paying a little extra for if you have to.